Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor
+44 (0) 121 204 3607
I joined the University in 1985 as a PhD student researching metal fatigue of zinc aluminium copper alloys. Prior to that I worked within the oil industry in senior management positions in the Middle East.
During the PhD Programme I undertook part time lecturing in Mechanical and Production Engineering. After completing the PhD in 1990 I worked as a Senior Research Engineer working on projects for the DTI and MoD.
I currently supervise students at Aston at Masters level across a range of programmes with the Schools of Engineering & Applied Science and also Life & Health Sciences in the use of electro microscopy... I have also become involved in lecturing to students from industry on work based learning undergraduate programmes such as the Foundation Degree Gas Transmission Engineering.
I am also a Visiting Professor of Materials to Sakarya University in Turkey.
Qualifications & Education
- BSc Mechanical & Production Engineering Napier Polytechnic, 1983
- MSc, Manufacturing system Engineering, Warwick University 1986
- PhD in Materials Engineering, Aston University 1991
Investigation into materials’ failure, corrosion, processing, plating, metallographic, microscopy and electron microscopy.
Work and Teaching activity
Membership of Professional Bodies
Visiting Teaching Fellow on a project funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering & Ove Arup Foundation
- MSc Professional Engineering
- Foundation Degree Gas Transmission Engineering
- Chartered Engineer IMMM
- Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering
- National and International Consultant for the Materials & Engineering Industry
- Electron Microscopy study into phase transformation 1990
- Comparison of Fatigue of properties of commercial zinc aluminium alloys 1993 (International fatigue conference, ecole Polytechnic Canada)
- Fatigue properties of ZA27 alloy, International Zinc conference Mexico 1994.
- Patent on Continuous fibre metal matrix composite 1994
- I am a consultant metallurgist since 1991 I have dealt and solved various industrial problems ranging from as simple as a wall mounted screw to landing gears. Failure investigations into metal production and corrosion. Acted as an expert witness in various occasions. I work with the steel, and non ferrous foundries, fabrications and welding processes. I give advice on galvanising and plating for various industries including the jewellery industry. www.astonmicroscopy.co.uk