Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor Phone number
+44 (0) 121 204 3607
I joined the University in 1985 as a PhD student researching metal fatigue of zinc aluminium copper alloys. Prior to that I worked within the oil industry in senior management positions in the Middle East.
During the PhD Programme I undertook part time lecturing in Mechanical and Production Engineering. After completing the PhD in 1990 I worked as a Senior Research Engineer working on projects for the DTI and MoD.
I currently supervise students at Aston at Masters level across a range of programmes with the Schools of Engineering & Applied Science and also Life & Health Sciences in the use of electro microscopy... I have also become involved in lecturing to students from industry on work based learning undergraduate programmes such as the Foundation Degree Gas Transmission Engineering.
I am also a Visiting Professor of Materials to Sakarya University in Turkey.
Qualifications & Education
- BSc Mechanical & Production Engineering Napier Polytechnic, 1983
- MSc, Manufacturing system Engineering, Warwick University 1986
- PhD in Materials Engineering, Aston University 1991
Investigation into materials’ failure, corrosion, processing, plating, metallographic, microscopy and electron microscopy.
Work and Teaching activity
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Visiting Teaching Fellow on a project funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering & Ove Arup Foundation
- MSc Professional Engineering
- Foundation Degree Gas Transmission Engineering
- Chartered Engineer
- Fellow of the Institute of Mining Minerals and Materials
- National and International Consultant for the Materials & Engineering Industry
- Electron Microscopy study into phase transformation 1990
- Comparison of Fatigue of properties of commercial zinc aluminium alloys 1993 (International fatigue conference, ecole Polytechnic Canada)
- Fatigue properties of ZA27 alloy, International Zinc conference Mexico 1994.
- Patent on Continuous fibre metal matrix composite 1994
- I am a consultant metallurgist since 1991 I have dealt and solved various industrial problems ranging from as simple as a wall mounted screw to landing gears. Failure investigations into metal production and corrosion. Acted as an expert witness in various occasions. I work with the steel, and non ferrous foundries, fabrications and welding processes. I give advice on galvanising and plating for various industries including the jewellery industry. www.astonmicroscopy.co.uk