I obtained a BA in Physics and a BSc in Electrical Engineering at the Technion, Haifa, Israel and later on an MSc in Physics (relativistic field theory) and a PhD in Electrical Engineering (neural networks) at the Tel-Aviv University. In 1992 I joined the neural networks group in the physics department at Edinburgh University first as a postdoc and later on as a lecturer, working mainly on theoretical issues. In 1995 I joined the Neural Computing Research Group at Aston as a lecturer and was promoted later on to a reader (1997) and subsequently to a professor (1999). Between 2006-2012 I had been the Head of the Mathematics Group.
Qualifications & Education
- BA in Physics (Cum Laude), Technion, Haifa, Israel, 1982
- BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, (Cum Laude), Technion, Haifa, Israel, 1982
- MA in Physics, Tel-Aviv University, 1987
- PhD in Engineering, Tel-Aviv University, 1992
- 1999 – date: Professor of Information Mathematics in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University; Head of Mathematics 2006-2012.
- 1997 – 1999: Reader in the NCRG and Department of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, Aston University
- 1995 – 1997: Lecturer in the NCRG and Department of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, Aston University.
- 1993 – 1995: Lecturer in the Physics Department, University of Edinburgh.
Teaching on the Mathematics programmes:
- Partial Differential Equations (currently delivered by Bill Cox)
- Mathematical Methods
- Probabilistic Modelling
- Statistical mechanics of disordered systems
- Advanced Inference in complex systems
- Error Correcting Codes
- Multiuser communication (CDMA, broadcasting)
- Hard Computational Problems
- Computing with noise
- Distributed resources in networks (including routing and smart grids)
Recent research funding
I held 7 EPSRC grants as well as grants from the Leverhulme Trust (3), EU (4), Royal Society and British Council (3).
Inference Beyond the Limits via Insights from Physical Systems, Leverhulme Trust, £154,017 (with J. Neirotti - CI).
Statistical Mechanics Inspired Methods for Green Autonomous Networking - STAMINA, EU FP7 FET 265496, €388,614.
Statistical Mechanics of Communication Networks, Royal Society, Joint Project Grant UK-Hong Kong - £12,000
Distributive Inference Methods for Smart-Grids, HubNet EPSRC £76,392 ((with Ian Nabney -CI).
Probabilistic control and relay switching in Smart-Grids, Industrial CASE Studentship, EPSRC, with ALSTOM Grid UK £89,924.
I have supervised about 11 PhD students and 14 MSc students. Current students: Elizabeth Harrison, Li Wu.
Membership of Professional Bodies
Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
See a full list of publications at the AURA archive
D. Saad (editor), On-Line Learning in Neural Networks, Publications of the Newton Institute, Cambridge University Press, (1998).
M. Opper and D. Saad (editors), Advanced Mean Field Methods - Theory and Practice, MIT press,
Y. Kabashima, T. Murayama and D. Saad, ``Typical Performance of Gallager-type Error-Correcting Codes'', Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 1355-1358, (2000).
Y. Kabashima, T. Murayama and D. Saad, ``Cryptographical Properties of Ising Spin Systems'', Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 2030-2033, (2000).
R. Vicente, D. Saad and Y. Kabashima, ``Error-correcting Code on a Cactus: a Solvable Model'', Europhys. Lett. , 51, 698-704, (2000).
A.C.C. Coolen, D. Saad and Y. Xiong, ``On-line Learning from Restricted Training Sets in Multilayer Neural Networks'', Europhys. Lett. , 51, 691-697, (2000).
Y. Kabashima and D. Saad, ``Statistical Mechanics of Low-Density Parity Check Codes'', Jour. Phys. A (invited paper), 37, R1-R43, (2004).
J.P. Neirotti and D. Saad, ``Improved Message Passing for Inference in Densely Connected Systems'', Europhys. Lett. 71, 866-872, (2005).
K.Y.M. Wong and D. Saad, ``Inference and Optimization of Real Edges on Sparse Graphs - a Statistical Physics Perspective'', Phys. Rev. E, 76, 011115 (2007).
A. Mozeika, D. Saad and J. Raymond, ``Computing with Noise - Phase Transitions in Boolean Formulas'', Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 248701 (2009).
J. Reichardt, R. Alamino and D. Saad,“The Interplay Between Individual Properties and Group Structure in Complex Networks”, PLoS ONE, 6(8): e21282 (2011).
A. Mozeika and D. Saad, “Dynamics of Boolean Networks -an Exact Solution”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 214101 (2011).
C. H. Yeung and D. Saad, “The Competition for Shortest Paths on Sparse Graphs”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 , 208701 (2012).