0121 204 3531
I joined Aston University in January 2009, and teach a variety of courses in the school of Engineering Systems & Management. I am actively engaged in product development research, particularly in the areas of internal combustion engines and low carbon vehicles as part of the Sustainable Environment Research Group.
I am also an adjunct professor at University of Wisconsin – Madison, teaching project management and technology trends on engineering masters programs.
Prior to joining Aston University, I worked in industry for 25 years holding a variety of senior engineering leadership positions, included responsibilities for engineering development, project execution and business leadership, with consultant and manufacturing companies. Within these organizations, I had global responsibility for engines, transmissions and driveline engineering and product development for automotive, aerospace, off-highway, construction, agricultural equipment, and motorcycles.
Qualifications & Education
- MSc Engineering Design, Loughborough University, 1994
- MEng Engineering, University Wisconsin – Madison, 2003
- PhD Application of Heuristic Pareto Frontiers to Multi-Variate Design Attributes of an Automotive Engine to Achieve Robust Configuration Architecture, expected completion 2014
2008 – date: Lecturer, Aston University, UK
2005 – date: Adjunct Professor, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
2007 – 2009: Product Group Director, Ricardo Consulting Engineers, UK
2006 – 2007: Technical Director, Engineering, Romax Technology, UK
2000 – 2006: Chief Engineer Powertrain, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, USA
1998 – 2000: Senior Director, Engineering, Mercury Marine, USA
1994 – 1998: Global Business Development Director, Cosworth Engineering, UK
1985 – 1994: Executive Engineer, Lotus Engineering, UK
1983 – 1985: Design Engineer, Noel Penny Turbines, UK
- Engineering Project Management
- Engineering Leadership/Management of Change
- Lean & Agile Manufacturing
- University of Wisconsin – Madison USA, Adjunct Professor teaching analysis of trends in engines and engines program management on distance masters programs
- University of Portsmouth UK, Associate Lecturer in learning management for masters distance program
- Loughborough University UK, Visiting Lecturer in Advanced Transmission Design & Development
- Hanyang University South Korea – Adjunct Professor in International Business
Active Knowledge Transfer Partnership projects with TATA Engineering & ROTEC on new product development of hybrid and specialist vehicles.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Society Automotive Engineers
- Institute of Engineering Designers
Current research interests are in the areas of:
Product development decision making
Engine architecture analysis
Engineering project management best practice
Product user profiles and duty cycle development
Recent research funding
Current Technology Strategy Board funded projects into Ultra Low Carbon Vehicle usage analysis running through 2012 and second life of electric vehicle batteries.
– PhD in optimal electric vehicle charging networks