I joined the School of Engineering and Applied Science as a lecturer in 2005, having completed a Royal Society Industry Fellowship at the University of Warwick. Prior to that I held positions as Senior Consultant at Scientific Generics Ltd (Cambridge), as Senior Mechanical Engineer at Melles Griot Ltd (Ely), and as Project Engineer at Lightworks Ltd (London). I have designed and developed several industrial products.
In addition I have held research posts at the Instituto de Energía Solar, of the Universidad Politécnica of Madrid, and at the School of Engineering Science of the University of Oxford.
After graduating from Imperial College in 1984, I completed a graduate apprenticeship at W. H. Allen Ltd, Bedford, where I learnt about manufacturing and design practice in precision mechanical engineering.
Qualifications & Education:
- BSc with First Class Honours in Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College, London, 1984
- DPhil in Biomedical Engineering, Oxford, 1989
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Aston University, 2007.
- 2011 – date: Reader, School of Engineering & Applied Science, Aston University, Birmingham (Associate Dean Research 2011-14).
- 2005 – 2010: Senior Lecturer in Engineering Design, School of Engineering & Applied Science, Aston University, Birmingham.
- 2003 – 2005: Royal Society Industry Fellow, School of Engineering, University of Warwick.
- 2000 – 2003: Senior Consultant, Scientific Generics Ltd, Cambridge
ME3080 - Engineering Design and the Natural Environment - Module Leader
ME4504 - Renewable Energy - Module Leader
PD4001 - Research Project (MSc) - Module Leader
PD4005 - Sustainable Design - Module Leader
My main research activities are in renewable and efficient energy systems and in their application for water treatment, cooling and agriculture. I am particularly interested in small scale systems for deployment in rural areas and developing countries. My work is of special relevance to arid regions. I belong to the Sustainable Environment Research Group.
Recent research funding:
Science Bridges: Bio-energy: technology and business solutions for the UK and India, funded by Research Councils UK (EP/G039992/1) and Department of Science and Technology, Government of India
Enhanced biomass production and energy conversion for use in water-scarce areas of India, funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/E044360/1)
Current PhD Supervision:
Zaraan Engineer: Steam-based solar power for use in India
Opubo Igobo: A high efficiency solar-rankine engine for use in desalination
Tianyu Qiu: A novel solar–thermal rankine cycle reverse osmosis desalination system
Visiting Professor, King Saud University
External examiner at University of Bristol
Member of PhD advisory committee, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
Chartered Engineer and Eur Ing
Member of the European Desalination Society
Selected publications: Please click here to view selected publications