Senior Lecturer / Director of BEng Professional Engineering Programmes
Dr Nagi Fahmi is a staff member of the Power Engineering System Group at Aston University, UK. He is currently Director of the Professional Engineering programmes. He has been Member of the Institution of Engineering & Technology and Chartered Engineering since 1993. His research focuses on power system analysis and power system control.
Qualifications & Education
- PhD Aston University
- MSc Power Systems – UMIST/Salford University
- DipEE (5 years Programme- Electrical Power Systems) Sudan University of Technology
- 1974 – 1976 Electrical Engineer – Union Carbide
- 1977 – 1982 Lecturer Khartoum University – Sudan
- 1982 – 1986 PG Research CEGB/Aston University
- 1986 – 1988 Consultant/ Research CEGB/Aston University
- 1988 – to date Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Aston University
Lecturer on subjects related to Electrical Power Engineering and Generation in undergraduate BEng degree programmes.
MSc Professional Engineering Academic Supervisor
- Development in power system analysis, protection and active and reactive power flow control
- Stability of interconnected network and islanded systems
- Development in microcontrollers and embedded systems for process control.
- Machines and Electronic Drives
- Sensors for Medical Applications
- Research active in 'Technologies supporting healthy ageing'
- Decentralisation of Power System Voltage Control using Artificial Neural Networks
- Interest in research and development in Smart Grid Systems and HVDC links.
- Research in Microprocessor Based Bus-bar Protection Relay
- Applications of Artificial Neural Networks to Power Systems Transient Energy Margin Evaluation.
- Renewable and Low Carbon Electricity Generation
Currently supervising three Ph.D. research students
Supervisor on Project FALCON research for Network Techniques funded by LCNF
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Omkar Joshi, Nagi Fahmi, Geoff Tansley "Induced Back EMF study of a Novel Blood Pump Motor with High Fault Tolerance" International Society for Rotary Blood Pumps (ISRBP 2014), USA
- Omkar Joshi, Nagi Fahmi, Geoff Tansley "A Brushless Cosecant DC Motor for Blood Pump Application" International Society for Rotary Blood Pumps (ISRBP 2013), Japan
- M Booth, N R Fahmi, S Luke, “Worked-based Pathways for the Electrical Power Engineering Industry” EE2012, Innovation, Practice and Research in Engineering Education”, Paper GP134/obs019 Engineering Education, September 2012
- Z, Zhangweg, N. R. Fahmi, 'Modelling and Analysis of a cascade 11-level inverters-based SVG with New Control Strategies for Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) Application', IEE Part C Proceedings, Generation Transmission and Distribution, March 2003
- Z Zhangweg, N Fahmi, W.T Norris 'Flicker Analysis and Methods for Electric Arc Furnace Flicker Mitigation' (A Survey), IEEE Power Tech '2001', Porto, Portugal, September 10-13, 2001
- X.Z.Sun, J.E.T Penny, N.R. Fahmi and Q.M.Zhu, 'Fuzzy Model-Based Diagnosis of an AC Motor', Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Damage Assessment of Structures 2001, Cardiff Wales, UK, June 25th - 28th , 2001
- Z. Zhang, N.R Fahmi, "A Sensitive Matrix for Assessing Voltage Regulation Result", Proceedings of the 36 UPEC Conference, paper 448, Swansea, Wales, September 12-14, 2001
- Z. Zhang, N.R Fahmi, 'A Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN)-Based Control SVG for Electric Arc Furnace (EAF)', Proceedings of the 36 UPEC Conference, paper 450, Swansea, Wales, September 12 -14, 2001
- N Fahmi & Z Zhangweg, 'Reactive Power Optimal Distribution, Proceedings of the 35th UPEC Conference, September 2000, Belfast, N Ireland
- N Fahmi & Z Zhangweg, 'Special Load Analysis', Proceedings of the 35th UPEC Conference, September 2000, Belfast, N Ireland