Mykhaylo Dubov is a Senior Research Fellow in the School of Engineering & Applied Science at the University of Aston, Birmingham, UK. He has been part of the Photonics Research group since 2001. Prior to that, he carried out research at the National Academy of Science of Ukraine.
Qualifications & Education
- PhD in Direct Femtosecond Laser Inscription in Transparent Dielectrics from Aston University, Birmingham.
- MSc in Physics from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
- Lasers: laser-matter interaction; ultrafast lasers micro-fabrication in transparent dielectrics; optoelectronics; planar and fibre optic devices and sensors
- Optical Microscopy: Scanning Electron Microscopy and microprobe analysis
- Semiconductor Laser Diodes
- Laser Resonance-Ionisation Mass Spectrometry; Optical Spectroscopy
- Optics; Diffractive Optics Elements; thin film devices; Laser Wavelength-Meters
Recent Research Funding
- 2011-2013 “Nonlinear waveguide-based all-optical waveform generators” (The Leverhulme Trust)
- 2008-2010 “Measurement of the Transient Spatial Profiles of Refractive Index and Lattice Temperature during Femtosecond Pulse Inscription in Fused Silica” (EPSRC)
- 2006-2009 “Femtosecond Micro-fabrication of Photonic Devices” (EPSRC)
- 2003-2006 “Laser processing of materials for photonic waveguides and circuits” (LASEWAVE) (DTI-EPSRC LINK project)
Available to supervise PhD students
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
- European Physical Society (EPS)
- International Society for Optical Engineers (SPIE)
Selected Papers and Conference Presentations
(Complete list of publications available at http://www1.aston.ac.uk/research/aura/)
· A.V. Turchin, M. Dubov, J. A. R. Williams, “3D-reconstruction of the complex dielectric function of glass during femtosecond laser micro-fabrication,” Opt. Quant Electron 42, 873–886, 2011.
· J. Rasakanthan, M. Baregheh, M. Dubov, V. Mezentsev, G. Smith, K. Sugden, P.D. Woolliams, and P.H.J. Tomlins, “Quantitative optical coherence tomography for characterization of microscopic structures with varying refractive index,” CLEO/Europe, 2011.
· D.N. Nikogosyan, M. Dubov, H. Schmitz, V. Mezentsev, I. Bennion, P. Bolger, A. Zayats, “Point-by-point inscription of 250-nm-period structure in bulk fused silica by tightly-focused femtosecond UV pulses: experiment and numerical modelling,” Central European Journal of Physics, 8 (2), 169-177, 2010.
· I. Bennion, V. Mezentsev, M. Dubov, A. Okhrimchuk, T. Allsop, H. Schmitz, Single Process Femtosecond Micro-fabrication of Key Components for Integrated Optics (Invited Talk), BGPP-2010.
· A. Ivanenko, S.K. Turitsyn, S. Kobtsev, and M. Dubov, “Mode-Locking in 25-km Fibre Laser,” Proc. 36th Europ. Conf. Opt. Commun. (ECOC), 2010.
· A.V. Turchin, M. Dubov, and J.A.R. Williams, “In-situ measurement and the reconstruction in 3D of femtosecond inscription induced complex permittivity modification in glass,” Opt. Lett. 35, 2952-2954, 2010.
· A. Okhrimchuk, V. Mezentsev, H. Schmitz, M. Dubov, and I. Bennion, “Cascaded nonlinear absorption of femtosecond laser pulses in dielectrics,” Laser Phys. 19, 1415-1422, 2009.
· M. Dubov, T.D.P. Allsop, S.R. Natarajan, V. Mezentsev, and I. Bennion, ”Low-loss waveguides in borosilicate glass fabricated by high-repetition-rate femtosecond chirp-pulsed oscillator,” CLEO/Europe, 2009.
· A.G. Poleshchuk, R.K. Nasyrov, V.V. Cherkashin, M. Dubov, V. Mezentsev, and I. Bennion, “Diffractive variable attenuator for femtosecond laser radiation control,” Appl. Opt. 48, 708-711, 2009.
· M. Dubov, S.R. Natarajan, J.A.R. Williams, I. Bennion, “Mask-less lithography for fabrication of optical waveguides,” Proc. SPIE, 6881, p. 688110, 2008.
· M. Dubov, I. Bennion, D.N. Nikogosyan, P. Bolger, and A.V. Zayats, ”Point-by-point inscription of 250-nm period structure in bulk fused silica by tightly focused femtosecond UV pulses,” Journal of Opt. A: Pure and Appl. Opt. 10, paper 025305, 2008.
· M. Dubov, R.K. Nasyrov, D.N. Nikogosyan, A.G. Poleshchuk, V. Mezentsev, and I. Bennion, “Micro-holographic methods for sub-micrometer grating fabrication in fused silica with UV femtosecond laser,” Proc. SPIE 7100, paper 71000T, 2008.
· M. Ams, G. Marshall, P. Dekker, M. Dubov, V. Mezentsev, I. Bennion, and M.J. Withford, “Investigation of ultrafast laser-photonic material interactions: Challenges for directly written glass photonics” (Invited paper), IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 14, 1370 -1388, 2008.
· R. Graf, A. Fernandez, M. Dubov, H.J. Brueckner, B.N. Chichkov, and A. Apolonski, “Pearl-chain waveguides written at MHz repetition rate,” Appl. Phys. B: Lasers and Opt. 87, 21-27, 2007.
· S.K. Turitsyn, V. Mezentsev, M. Dubov, A.M. Rubenchik, M.P. Fedoruk, and E.V. Podivilov, “Sub-critical regime of femtosecond inscription,” Opt. Express 15, 14750-14764, 2007.
· A. Martinez, M. Dubov, I. Khrushchev, and I. Bennion, "Photo-induced modifications in fiber gratings inscribed directly by infrared femtosecond irradiation," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 18, 2266-2268, 2006.
· V. Mezentsev, M. Dubov, A. Martinez, Y. Lai, T.D.P. Allsop, I. Khrushchev, D.J. Webb, F. Floreani, and I. Bennion, “Micro-fabrication of advanced photonic devices by means of direct point-by-point femtosecond inscription in silica” (Review paper), Proc. SPIE 6107, 61070C, 2006.
· M. Dubov, T. Allsop, A. Martinez, V. Mezentsev, I. Bennion, “Highly birefringent long period gratings fabricated with femtosecond laser”, Proc OFC, 2006.
· T.D.P. Allsop, M. Dubov, A. Martinez, F. Floreani, I. Khrushchev, D.J. Webb, and I. Bennion, “Long period grating directional bend sensor based on asymmetric index modification of cladding,” Electron. Lett. 41, 59-60, 2005.
· A. Martinez, Y. Lai, M. Dubov, I.G. Khrushchev, and I. Bennion, “Vector bending sensors based on fibre Bragg gratings inscribed by infrared femtosecond laser,” Electron. Lett. 41, 472-474, 2005.
· A. Martinez, M. Dubov, I. Khrushchev, I. Bennion, “Direct writing of fibre Bragg gratings by femtosecond laser,” Electron. Lett. 40, 1170-1172, 2004.
· Y. Hu, M. Dubov, I. Khrushchev, “Self-seeded gain-switched operation of an InGaN MQW laser diode,” Proc. SPIE 5452, p.625, 2004.
· Y. Hu, M. Dubov, I. Khrushchev, “Spectrally-controlled, gain-switched operation of InGaN diode laser, “ Elect.Lett., 40 (11) 702 – 703, 2004.
· Y. Hu, A. Gubenko, G. Venus, I. Gadjiev, N. Il'inskaja, S. Nesterov, E. Portnoi, M. Dubov, I. Khrushchev, “Gain switching of an external cavity grating-coupled surface emitting laser with wide tunability,” Applied Physics Letters, 82 (24) 4236 – 4237, 2003.
· A.N. Grigorenko, L.V. Panina, S.I. Sandacci, D.P. Makhnovskiy, D.J. Mapps, I. Khrushchev, M. Dubov, V. Larin, A. Torkunov, “Laser processing effect on magnetic properties of amorphous wires,” Applied Physics Letters, 81 (25) 4790 – 4792 (2002).
· M. Dubov, D. Giannone, I. Khrushchev, I. Bennion, “Pulse tail suppression in laser diode output by tunable notch filter,” Electronics Letters, 37 (23) 1404 – 1405, 2001.
· M. V. Dubov, G.V. Klishevich, V.N. Sergienko, I.A. Obukhov, A.V. Turchin, and M.P. Chernomorets, “An astigmatic wavelength meter,” Instruments and Experimental Techniques, 44 (4) pp. 537-543, 2001.
· M.P. Chernomorets M. V. Dubov, G.V. Klishevich, “Determination of the Pu autoionizing level angular momenta by a multistep excitation with linearly polarized laser light,” Opt. Commun., 171 (4) 253 – 261, 1999.
Patents and Patent Applications
- M. Dubov, S.R. Natarajan, J.A.R. Williams, and I. Bennion, “Optical structures,” WO2009007712, 15/01/2009.
- Khrushchev, A. Okhrimchuck, A. Shestakov, M. Dubov, I. Bennion, A. Martinez, “Laser inscribed structures,” WO2005111677, 24/11/2005.
- Khrushchev, A. Okhrimchuck, A. Shestakov, M. Dubov, and I. Bennion, “Laser inscription of optical structures in crystals,” WO2005040874, 06/05/2005.
- I. Khrushchev, Y. Lai, M. Dubov, A. Martinez, and I. Bennion, “Laser inscribed structures,” US2007230861, 04/10/2007.