+ 44 (0)121 204 3202
I am currently the Director of Engineering and Applied Science Foundation programmes. This role enables me, along with a dedicated and committed team, to provide opportunities for people from diverse backgrounds to attend University and fulfil their dreams of becoming Professional Engineers and Applied Scientists. Alongside this role, I am also the Academic Director for Aston International. Aston International provides opportunities for people from overseas to have access to a UK university education and it is my job to ensure that they have an excellent learning experience at Aston University.
I am the module leader for the Engineering Analysis module on the MSc Professional Engineering Programme. I teach mathematics to Engineering and Applied Science undergraduates and mathematics to Product Design and Management students.
My research interests are based around the learning of mathematics. I am interested in the use of language in mathematics learning and teaching and the cognitive mechanisms utilised in the learning of mathematics. My current research is looking at the relationship between Cognitive Load Theory and Problem Based Learning.
I am a member of OCR's Mathematics consultative committee and regularly review research papers for the following journals:
NFER Educational Research Journal
International Journal for Mathematics Teaching and Learning.
International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education.
I am also a member of SEFI (European Engineering Education)
Mathematics Working Group and the British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics.
Qualifications & Education
- Chartered Mathematician
- PhD Mathematics Education
- MSc Mathematics Education
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Mathematics)
- BSc(Hons) Mathematics
- HND Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- ILM Certificate in Leadership & Management
Teaching activity Research interests
- Academic Director Aston International
- Director of Engineering & Applied Science Foundation Programmes
- Lecturer in Engineering Mathematics
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Cognitive activity involved in engineering problem solving
- The use of language in Mathematics
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Peters, M (2015) Impact of a priori Mathematics Knowledge on first year Engineering Students Mathematics examination results. Poster presentation. Mathematical Education of Engineers Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, Loughborough University
- Peters, M. (2015) Using cognitive load theory to interpret student difficulties with a problem-based learning approach to engineering education: a case study. Teaching Mathematics Applications 34 (1). pp 53-62.
- Peters, M (2014) How does Problem Based Learning fit with Cognitive Load Theory? 17th Seminar Mathematics Working Group, European Society for Engineering Education. Dublin, Ireland. http://www.sefi.htw-aalen.de/
- Peters M. (2010) Parsing Mathematical Constructs: Results from a Preliminary Eye Tracking Study, British Society for the Research into Learning Mathematics. University of Nottingham and University of Leicester. 30(2) pp 47-52
- Peters M. and Graham E. (2009) The Validation of a Semantic Model for the Interpretation of Mathematics in an Applied Mathematics Problem, British Society for the Research into Learning Mathematic. Cambridge University. 29(1) pp73-78
- Peters M. and Graham E. (2008) The Development of a Semantic Model for the Learning of Mathematics, British Society for the Research into Learning Mathematics. Southampton University. 28(2) pp79-84