+ 44 (0)121 204 3202
I am the Programme Director for the Foundation years in Engineering and Applied Science. I also manage the International versions of these two programmes. I teach mathematics to undergraduates and am the module leader for mathematics for the Foundation Degrees in Power Engineering. In addition I am members of the OCR’s Consultative Committee for Mathematics and SEFI’s (European Society for Engineering Education) Mathematics working group.
Qualifications & Education
- HND Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics
- PGCE Mathematics
- MEd Mathematics Education
- PhD Mathematics Education
- Aston University, Learning development Advisor (mathematics)
- University of Plymouth, HELP-CETL.
- Cornwall College, Foundation Degree Programme Manager, Wireless Applications Project Leader
- Penair School, Mathematics Teacher
- Cornwall College, Senior Computer Technician
- Inmos Ltd, Senior Thin Film Technician
- Hawker Siddeley Power Plant Ltd, Electrical Technician Apprentice
- Director of Engineering and Science Foundation Programmes
- Mathematics: Foundation Degrees in Power Engineering, Gas Transmission
- BSc Product Design & Management
Mathematics: BSc Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering
Recent research funding
- Psychology of learning mathematics.
- Using technology to mediate the learning of mathematics.
- Linguistics and mathematical language.
- Neuroscience and neuropsychology of learning mathematics
Birmingham, Black Country and Solihull Lifelong Learning Network £20K to develop an on-line Mathematics diagnostic testing system.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- British Society for the Research into Learning Mathematics
- Reviewer for the Titan Confidential Partnership
- Peters M. And Graham E. (2009) The Validation of a Semantic Model for the Interpretation of Mathematics in an Applied Mathematics Problem, British Society for the Research into Learning Mathematics. Cambridge University.
- Peters M. (2008) The Development of a Semantic Model for Interpreting Mathematics with the Aid of Technology, British Education Research Association Conference 2008. Edinburgh
- Peters M., Stone M., Witt N. and McDermott A., (2008) Managing the Sustainability of Technology Introduced by the HELP-CETL, Annual CETL Network Conference: Impact, Evaluation, Dissemination and Sustainability, University of Leicester, 17th - 18th April.
- Witt, N., McDermott A., and Peters, M.. (2008) HELP CETL-Video Conferencing across the Network, JISC Regional Support Centre South West Higher Education Conference 2008: Innovation Through Partnership, 8 April, Bristol.
- Witt, N., McDermott, A., Peters, M. and Stone, M. (2007) A Knowledge Management Approach to Developing Communities of Practice Amongst University and College Staff. In R.J. Atkinson, C. McBeath, S. K. A. Soong, and C. Cheers (Eds) ICT: Providing choices for learners and learning. Proceedings ascilite Singapore 2007. Centre for Educational Development, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2-5 December, pp1099-1103. ISBN 978-981-05-9578-4.
- Peters M.D. (2005) Foundation Degrees: the way forward for ICT in HE – a call for debate on the design, implementation and delivery of ICT Foundation Degrees.