0121 204 3504
The main task is to couple light out of the optical fiber using tilted gratings to realize the function of optical spectral analysers. We have used side detection method to decode the light information with a CCD array. This technology may find application in optical communications and optical fiber sensors. Optical waveguide, optical fiber, fiber Bragg grating, optical fiber sensors and semiconductor lasers
2002-present Aston University
Key Grants and Awards
To develop a new generation of innovative soft contact lens measuring instruments £118K 2013 KTP project /Optimec Ltd
- Ultrafast laser micromachining of semiconductor materials for solar cells £14000 2013
- Gas sensor using optical fibre, £121K 2013
KTP project/GasData Ltd
- Supplying of 45° tilted fibre Bragg grating, $6K 2010 Electro-optics Technology, Inc
- High extinct ratio polarised fiber, $150K 2006-2009 European Office of Aerospace Research & Development, partners: US air force research laboratory, Leiki
- Highly side-mode-suppressed fibre Bragg grating external cavity semiconductor laser, ¥100KRMB, Institute Director Fund Award, Chinese Academy of sciences
Professional Bodies Memberships
Selection of Key Publications
1 Z.Yan, K.Zhou, L. Zhang, “In-fiber linear polarizer based on UV-inscribed 45° tilted grating in polarization maintaining fiber”. Optics Letters 09/2012; 37(18):3819-21.
2 K.Zhou, Z.Yan, L.Zhang, and I.Bennion, "Refractometer based on fiber Bragg grating Fabry-Perot cavity embedded with a narrow microchannel," Opt. Express 19, 11769-11779 (2011)
3. K.Zhou, M.Dubov, C.Mou, L.Zhang, V.Mezentsev, I.Bennion, "Line-by-Line Fiber Bragg Grating Made by Femtosecond laser,"IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 22(16), 1041-1135(2010)
4. A.Martinez, K.Zhou, I.Bennion, and S. Yamashita, "Passive mode-locked lasing by injecting a carbon nanotube-solution in the core of an optical fiber," Opt. Express,18, 11008-11014 (2010)
5. K.Zhou, D.Webb, C.Mou, M.Farries, N.Hayes, I.Bennion, "Optical Fiber Cavity Ring Down Measurement of Refractive Index a Microchannel Drilled by Femtosecond Laser,"IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 21(22), 1653-1655(2009).
6. K.Zhou, X.Chen, Y.Lai, K.Sugden, L.Zhang, and I.Bennion, "In-fiber polymer/glass hybrid waveguide Bragg grating," Opt. Lett., 33(15), 1650-1652 (2008)
7. A.Martinez, K.Zhou, I.Bennion, and S.Yamashita, "In-fiber microchannel device filled with a carbon nanotube dispersion for passive mode-lock lasing," Opt. Express, 2008, 16, 15425-15430
8. Y.Lai,K.Zhou, K.Sugden, and I.Bennion, "Point-by-point inscription of first-order fiber Bragg grating for C-band applications," Opt. Express 15, 18318-18325 (2007)
9. K.Zhou, Y.Lai, X.Chen, K.Sugden, L.Zhang, and I.Bennion, "A refractometer based on a micro-slot in a fiber Bragg grating formed by chemically assisted femtosecond laser processing," Opt. Express, 15(24), 15848-15853 (2007)
10. Y.Lai, K.Zhou, L.Zhang and I.Bennion, "Microchannels in conventional single-mode fibers," Opt. Lett. 31(17), 2559-2561(2006).
11.K.Zhou, L.Zhang, X.Chen and I.Bennion, "Low thermal sensitivity grating devices based on ex-45° tilting structure capable of forward propagating cladding modes coupling," J. Lightw. Technol., 24(12), 5087-5094 (2006)
12.K.Zhou, L.Zhang, X.Chen, and I.Bennion, "Optic sensors of high refractive index responsivity and low thermal cross sensitivity utilizing fiber Bragg gratings of 80° -tilted structures," Opt. Lett., 31(9), 1193-1195(2006)
13.K.Zhou, A.G.Simpson, X.Chen, L.Zhang and I.Bennion, "High extinction ratio in-fibre polariser based on a 45° -tilted fibre Bragg grating," Opt. Lett., 30(11), 1285-1287(2005).
14.K.Zhou, A.G.Simpson, X.Chen, L.Zhang and I.Bennion, "Fibre Bragg grating sensor interrogation system using a CCD side detection method with superimposed blazed gratings," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 16(6), 1549-1551(2004)