Phone number 0121 204 3573
Room number MB176
Main duties at Aston
· Lecturer in Geographic Information Systems
· Research into Remote Sensing and application of GIS to natural resource management
· Chairing the University Sport and Recreation Committee
Other Interests and Hobbies
· Gymnastics: I hold an International Brevet for judging men’s gymnastics competitions and I used to be qualified as a regional coach.
· Skiing: I ski to a decent level and go skiing whenever I can.
· Lots of other outdoor activities: I love mountain and rock climbing, wind surfing and just recently started scuba diving in the red sea.
Full Curriculum Vitae
Name: John Elgy BSc, MSc, PhD.
Date of Birth: 29/01/51
Marital Status: Married, one child
Work Address: Aston University, Birmingham, B4 7ET UK
Phone (0)121 254 3573
E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org (work)
First Degree: BSc Civil Engineering (Birmingham University, 1973)
Higher Degrees: MSc Water Resources Technology (B'ham 1974). Doctor of Philosophy, 'Multi site Synthesis of Streamflow data and the infilling of missing values' (B'ham 1977)
Full Time Employment:
June 1973 — Oct 1973 Lancashire River Authority
June 1974 — Sep 1974 Severn Trent Water Authority
Jan 1977 — Present Lecturer School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University
Duties have included:
· Setting up and running the Combined Honours half degree programme in GIS
· Setting up, programme tutor and admission tutor to the undergraduate programme in Engineering Systems and Computing, October 1984/88.
· Chairing the University Computer Committee October 1990/94 (Including responsibility for the university’s IT strategy and the major academic procurement of 1993)
· Chairing the University Sport and Physical Recreation Committee October 1990/present
· Acting chairman of university Student Affairs Committee 1996/7 and Chairman 1997/8, currently Vice Chairman.
· Present teaching duties include: Spatial Statistics, and GIS data management to the final year, Geodemographics, ortho proto rectification, database management and hydrology to the second year, Computing to first year and statistics to the first year. I have also taught: cartography, image processing and water resources systems design. Many of these lectures have been recorded for use as Tutored Video Instruction material. Experience on using TVI for the continuing education of practising engineers has been published.
· Research interests centre around the use of GIS and Remote Sensing to urban drainage and for natural resources' management. Successfully supervised 11 research students as main supervisor and 4 as associate supervisor. Currently supervising 3 postgraduate research students. I have examined in excess of 20 PhD students.
· An 11,000 ECU European Community COMETT II grant was held to develop distance learning material for Geographical Information Systems for urban hydrology, mainly as Tutored Video Instruction. A further EC TEMPUS grant of 176,000 ECU was held to develop the engineering curricula in the universities of Belgrade and Nis in Yugoslavia and Sofia in Bulgaria. Work is under-way to develop multi media teaching material for distance learning. A learning pack is being developed for urban drainage technology.
· Invited lecturer to short courses on urban drainage and water supply in Dublin and Valencia, Spain..
· Director of UDT 94, an international conference on the use of GIS and remote sensing for urban waters held in Moscow Sept 1994. Invited participant NATO Advanced Research Workshop, 'Integrated Rehabilitation of Environmentally Devastated Areas in River Basins in Eastern Europe' Moscow 1994. Lecturer, NATO Advanced Studies Institute and GIS section editor, 'New Technologies for Large Water Supply Projects', Varna, Bulgaria, 1994.
Part Time Consultancy:
· Richards and Dumbleton, Computer Model of the water supply scheme for an area of Trinidad. July — Aug. 1978.
· Monk and Co., Design, preparation and delivery of a number of short courses on the use of computers in the construction industry. Jun 1982 — Nov. 1984.
· Halcrow Water, Design, preparation and delivery of 10 short courses and making 3 Tutored Video Instruction Videos on the application of computers to the consultant civil engineer working overseas. 1983.
· International Paint Co., Design and construction of a Computerized database management system for quality control information. Jun 1984 — Jan. 1985.
· PPG Industries, Writing a user friendly computer program for the design of alkyd resins. April 1988 — April 1989. Modifying and updating computer systems
· FAO, Data processing consultant to land evaluation project in Liberia, West Africa (10 weeks during 1989 & 1990). Modifying FAO/ISRIC soils database (2 weeks 1989). Dec. 1990 to May 1991, writing FAO guideline's for Computerized Land Resource Appraisal.
· ULG Consultants ltd. Data processing consultant and statistical analysis of ESA data (25 days Jan. to Aug. 1990).
· British Council Lecturing at the University of Nairobi on Image Processing and Remote Sensing for one month in August/September 1990, short visit to Thailand in 1987.
· Ramboll Consultants (funded by Danish government), Ghana Environmental Information Systems Development project. Land evaluation/land use planning specialist, (1.5 months July 1996). Creating a 200 ft resolution DEM for all of Ghana and erosion modelling (1.5 month July 1997 - April 1998). Use of AVHRR data in interpolating the climate data (1.5 months July 1998 - Dec 1998)
· All consultancy work has been involved with computer applications. In particular the applications of database management systems, transferring data from one computer system to another, GIS and image processing. Overseas work experience in Liberia, Kenya, Thailand, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Russia, Germany, Spain, Italy, Ghana and considerable travel on vacation and to international conferences.
Very proficient using: Remote Sensing and GIS packages, especially IDRISI, ERDAS imagine and GRASS (which I have installed and compiled at Aston University); FORTRAN, BASIC, PASCAL; Excel; dBASE III and IV and Access;. Considerable experience of: Arc/Info GIS, ArcView; FAO land evaluation software, CLICOM. Hardware experience includes PC's and Sun workstations (including UNIX, Linux and Windows)
Current Research Interests:
1) The fusion of remote sensed data from different sensors and dates.
2) Airborne remote sensing.
3) Simulation methods to determine risk to ground water systems.
4) The development of a low cost remote sensing system for precision agriculture using inertial navigation and GPS technology for oblique aerial photography.
Selected published papers:
· Elgy J. and Kottagoda NT. 'Infilling Missing Flow Data' Third Int. Symp Hydrol. Colorado 1977.
· Elgy J. and Elgy D. 'Water Resources Simulation on Micro Computers' Chapter in ' Applied Modelling in Catchment Hydrology' Edited by Vijay P. Singh. Water Resources Publications 1982.
· Elgy J. and Chidley TRE 'Low Cost Image Processing, the Future Prospects in Developing Countries' IAHR/UNESCO colloquium on the role of micro computers in developing countries. Delft 1984.
· Elgy J. and Chidley TRE, Hall MJ and Fleetwood-Walker P ‘Tutored Video Instruction’ Education for the Built Environment Professions, Integrated Learning and Teaching. Birmingham Polytechnic April 1985
· Elgy J. and Chidley TRE, Hall MJ and Fleetwood-Walker P ‘Tutored Video Instruction - TVI’ IAHR/UNESCO colloquium on the role of micro computers in developing countries. Delft 1984.
· Elgy J. 'Expert Systems in Hydrology.' Invited contribution to the annual meeting of the British Hydrological Society. London 1986.
· Binley AM, Elgy J & Bevin KA ‘A Physically Based Model of Heterogeneous Hillslopes’ Parts 1 and 2 Water Resources Research 25 June 1989 1219—1233
· Chidley TRE, Elgy J and Antoine J ‘The FAO Guideline's for Computerized Land Resources Appraisal for Sustainable Agriculture’ Published by the Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations
· Chidley TRE Elgy J and Pooley MR ‘An Expert System for irrigation Engineers’ 2nd Int Conf on the Application of AI in Engineering, 1987; Edited by Sirinam and Adey
· Wilkins AJ and Elgy J ‘Application of Expert Systems Technology in the Design of Durable Concrete’ Magazine of Concrete Research, 1991, 43, No 154, Mar., pp 65-69.
· Elgy J, Maksimovic C and Prodanovic D, 'Matching Standard GIS Packages with Urban Storm Drainage Simulation Software' HydroGIS 1993, Vienna, Austria, May 1993
· Elgy J, Chen Z and Blagojevic B 'Using Remote Sensing as an input to an Urban Drainage Model' Poster Presentation, HydroGIS 1993, Vienna, Austria, May 1993.
· Fuchs L, Bauwens W, Griffin S, Elgy J, and Maksimovic C. 'Advanced Computer Techniques for the Design and Renovation of Sewer Systems' Sixth International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage, Niagara Falls, Canada, Sept. 1993.
· Elgy J, Maksimovic C and Prodanovic D, 'Matching Standard GIS Packages with Urban Storm Drainage Simulation Software' Sixth International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage, Niagara Falls, Canada, Sept. 1993.
· Jones HK and Elgy J, 'Remote Sensing to Assess Landfill Gas Migration' Waste Management Research, 12/4 (Aug 1994), pp 327-337.
· Fuchs L, Maksimovic C, Prodanovic D & Elgy J 'Anwendung Geograpischer Informations Systeme bei der Kanalnetzberechnung', Korrespondenz Abwasser October 1994, 1766-1773
· Petrovic J & Elgy J 'The use of meteosat infrared imagery for enhancement of areal rainfall estimates', Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban Waters, UDT 94, Moscow, Russia Sept. 12-16 1994
· Elgy J., TW Charnock and PD Hedges, Relevant GIS and Remote Sensing Technology: Theoretical Considerations, pp 467-491 New technologies, NATO ASI Series 2, Environment - Vol. 15 ISBN 3-540-61533-4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1996
· Elgy J,. TW Charnock and PD Hedges, Use of GIS and Remote Sensing in Water Supply: Applications, pp 491-527 Water Supply Systems, New technologies, NATO ASI Series 2, Environment - Vol. 15 ISBN 3-540-61533-4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1996
· Elgy J.,TW Charnock and J. Snoxell, Geographical Information Systems for Water Supply Inventory, pp 537-555. New technologies, NATO ASI Series 2, Environment - Vol. 15 ISBN 3-540-61533-4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1996
· Elgy J, and Jones HK, Use of Remote Sensing and GIS for Environmental Modelling and Monitoring, pp 155-167 Environmentally Devastated Areas in River Basins in Eastern Europe, NATO ASI series 2. Environment – Vol 45 ISBN 3-540-64751-1 (ISSN 1431-7141), Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1998,
· Maksimovic C, Elgy J Fuchs L & Prodanovic D 'Gluing Routines for Matching Standard GIS Packages with Simulation and Design Models for Water Projects', Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban Waters, UDT 94, Moscow, Russia Sept. 12-16 1994
· Blagojevic B, Elgy J, Chen Z & Maksimovic C 'Airborne Videography as a Data Source for an Urban Drainage Model', Remote Sensing and GIS in Urban Waters, UDT 94, Moscow, Russia Sept. 12-16 1994
· Charnock TW, Elgy J, and Hedges PD 'Application of GIS Linked Environmental Models over a Large Area', Proc. Third International Conference/ Workshop on Integrating Geographical Information Systems and Environmental Modelling, Jan 21-25 1996, http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/conf/santa_fe
· Fedra_K, Pemberton_R, Elgy_J, Mannis_A (1996) Air quality management: An effects-based approach - (development of a sophisticated environmental management technique based upon the integration of air quality modelling within a GIS/DSS framework); Proceedings of the International Conference on Development and Application of Computer Techniques to Environmental Studies, Computational Mechanics Publ, Southampton, England,1996, pp.637-648
· Charnock TW, Hedges PD and Elgy J (1996) ‘Linking Multiple Process models and GIS’, in Application of Geographic Information Systems in Hydrology and Water Resources Management edited by Kovar K and H.P. Nachtnebel 1996 (ISBN 0-947571-84-1) and keynote lecture at HydroGIS 96, Vienna, Austria.
· Hedges PD, Ellis RJ and Elgy J (1996)‘Airborne Remote Sensing as a tool for Monitoring Landfill Sites Within an Urban Environment’, Sampling Environmental Media, ASTM STP 1282, James Howard Morgan, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, 1996.
· Blagojevic, B., Maksimovic, C. & Elgy, J. (1998) The Use of Airborne Videography for Simulation of Urban Drainage Runoff, BHS International Conference, Hydrology in a Changing Environment, Exeter UK, July 5-10 1998.
· Elgy, J. Buchanan, A.& Gregory S.(1998) Airborne Remote Sensing for Urban Waters, UDM ’98 Developments in Urban Drainage Modelling, Imperial College, London, UK, 21-24 Sept 1998, pp. 461-474.