Georgios received a BSc in chemistry from the University of Hull and a PhD in heterogeneous catalysis and surface science from the University of Cambridge under the supervision of Professor Richard Lambert. He continued as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Cambridge working in the fields of heterogeneous catalysis, surface science, solid state sensors and extreme ultraviolet lithography. He then moved to Boston, US to take up a post as a temporary Assistant Professor at Tufts University where he collaborated with the research groups of Professor Charles Sykes at the Department of Chemistry and Professor Maria Flytzani-Stephanopoulos at the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. Upon his return from the US in August 2012 he took up a post at the University of Hull as a Lecturer in Inorganic Chemistry. Georgios joined Aston University and the European Bioenergy Research Institute in 2015 as a Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry.
Our research at the European Bioenergy Research Institute addresses the development of heterogeneously catalysed processes for the large-scale and energy-efficient production of chemicals, strategic intermediates and fules starting from biomass derived molecules.
Research areas include:
Recent research grants:
1.“Stabilization of catalyst particles against sintering on oxide supports with high oxygen ion lability exemplified by Ir-catalyzed decomposition of N2O” I. V. Yentekakis, G. Goula, ·P. Panagiotopoulou, S. Kampouri, M. J. Taylor, G. Kyriakou, R. M. Lambert Appl. Catal. B 2016, 192, 357.
2.“Highly selective hydrogenation of furfural over supported Pt nanoparticles under mild conditions” M. J. Taylor, L. J. Durndell, M. A. Isaacs, · C. M. A. Parlett, K. Wilson, A. F. Lee, G. Kyriakou Appl. Catal. B 2016, 180, 580.
3.“Selective oxidation of cyclohexene through gold functionalized silica monolith microreactors” M. T. Alotaibi, M. J. Taylor, D. Liu, S. K. Beaumont · Georgios Kyriakou Surf. Sci. 2016, 646, 179.
4.“Sonogashira cross-coupling and homo-coupling on a silver surface: chlorobenzene and phenylacetylene on Ag(100)” C. Sanchez-Sanchez, N. Orozco, J-P. Holgado, S. K. Beaumont, G. Kyriakou, D. J. Watson, A. R. Gonzalez-Elipe, L. Feria, J. Fernández Sanz, R. M. Lambert J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2015, 137, 940.
5.“Significant Quantum Effects in Hydrogen Activation” G. Kyriakou, E. R. M. Davidson, G. Peng, L. T. Roling, S. Singh, M. B. Boucher, M. D. Marcinkowski, M. Mavrikakis , A. Michaelides, E. C. H. Sykes ACS Nano 2014, 8, 4827.
6. “Microwave-assisted hydrothermal synthesis of carbon monolith via a soft-template method using resorcinol and formaldehyde as carbon precursor and pluronic F127 as template” S. E. Elaigwu, G. Kyriakou, T. J. Prior, G. M. Greenway Materials Letters 2014, 123, 198.
7. “Removal of Pb2+ and Cd2+ from aqueous solution using chars from pyrolysis and microwave-assisted hydrothermal carbonization of Prosopis africana shell” S. E. Elaigwu, V. Rocher, G. Kyriakou, G. M. Greenway Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 2014, 20, 3467.
8. "Controlling the Spillover Pathway with the Molecular Cork Effect" M. D. Marcinkowski, A. D. Jewell, M. Stamatakis, M. B. Boucher, E. A. Lewis, C. J. Murphy, G. Kyriakou, E. C. H. Sykes. Nature Materials 2013, 12, 523.
9. "A Molecular-Scale Perspective of Water-Catalyzed Methanol Dehydrogenation to Formaldehyde" M. B. Boucher, M. D. Marcinkowski, M. L. Liriano, C. J. Murphy, E. A. Lewis, A. D. Jewell, M. F. G. Mattera, G. Kyriakou, M. Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, E. C. H. Sykes. ACS Nano 2013, 7, 6181.
10. "An Atomic Scale View of Methanol Reactivity at the Cu(111)/CuOx Interface" T. J. Lawton, G. Kyriakou, A. E. Baber, E. C. H. Sykes. ChemCatChem 2013, 5, 2684.
11."Isolated Metal Atom Geometries as a Strategy for Selective Heterogeneous Hydrogenations" G. Kyriakou, M. B. Boucher, A. D. Jewell, E. A. Lewis, T. J. Lawton, A. E. Baber, H. L. Tierney, M. Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, E. C. H. Sykes. Science 2012, 335, 1209.
12. "Molecular-Scale Surface Chemistry of a Common Metal Nanoparticle Capping Agent: Triphenylphosphine on Au(111)" A. D. Jewell, E. C. H. Sykes, G. Kyriakou. ACS Nano 2012, 6, 3545.
13."Quantum Tunneling Enabled Self-Assembly of Hydrogen Atoms on Cu(111)" A. D. Jewell, G. Peng, M. F. G. Mattera, E. A. Lewis, C. J. Murphy, G. Kyriakou, M. Mavrikakis, E. C. H. Sykes. ACS Nano 2012, 6, 10115.
14."Rediscovering Cobalt’s Surface Chemistry" E. A. Lewis, A. D. Jewell, G. Kyriakou, E. C. H. Sykes. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2012, 14, 7215.
15. "Controllable Restructuring of a Metal Substrate: Tuning the Surface Morphology of Gold" E.V. Iski, A. D. Jewell, H. L. Tierney, G. Kyriakou, E. C. H. Sykes. Surf. Sci. 2012, 606, 536.
16. "Organic thin film induced substrate restructuring: An STM study of the interaction of naphtho[2,3-a]pyrene Au(111) herringbone reconstruction" E.V. Iski, A. D. Jewell, H. L. Tierney, G. Kyriakou, E. C. H. Sykes. J. Vac. Sci. Techol. A 2011, 29, 04601.
17. "Aspects of heterogeneous enantioselective catalysis by metals". G. Kyriakou, S. K. Beaumont, R. M. Lambert Langmuir 2011, 27, 9687.
18. "Identity of the Active Site in Gold Nanoparticle-Catalyzed Sonogashira Coupling of Phenylacetylene and Iodobenzene" S. K. Beaumont, G. Kyriakou, R. M. Lambert. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 12246.
19. "Sonogashira coupling catalyzed by gold nanoparticles: does homogeneous or heterogeneous chemistry dominate?" G. Kyriakou, S. K. Beaumont, S. M. Humphrey, C. Antonetti, R. M. Lambert. ChemCatChem 2010, 2, 1444.
20. "Sonogashira coupling on an extended gold surface in vacuo: reaction of phenylacetylene with iodobenzene on Au(111)" V. K. Kanuru, G. Kyriakou, S. K. Beaumont, A. C. Papageorgiou, D. J. Watson. R. M. Lambert. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 8081.
21. "Heterogeneous uptake of gaseous hydrogen peroxide by Gobi and Saharan dust aerosols: a potential missing sink for H2O2 in the troposphere" M. Pradhan, G. Kyriakou, A.T. Archibald, A. C. Papageorgiou, M. Kalberer, R. M. Lambert. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 2010, 10, 7127.
22. "Synthesis, characterization and surface tethering of sulfide-functionalized Ti16-oxo-alkoxy cages" S. Eslava, A. C. Papageorgiou, S. K. Beaumont, G. Kyriakou, D. S. Wright, R. M. Lambert. Chem. Mater. 2010, 22, 5174.
23."Influence of Adsorption Geometry in the Heterogeneous Enantioselective Catalytic Hydrogenation of a Prototypical Enone" S. K. Beaumont, G. Kyriakou, D. J. Watson, O. P.H. Vaughan, A. C. Papageorgiou, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. C 2010, 114,15075.
24."Deprotection, Tethering and activation of a catalytically active metalloporphyrin on a chemically active metal surface: NEXAFS, synchrotron XPS, and STM study of [Sac]P-Mn(III)Cl on Ag(100)" M. Turner, O. P. H. Vaughan, G. Kyriakou, D. J. Watson, L. Scherrer, A. C. Papageorgiou, J. K. Sanders, R. M. Lambert. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 14913.
25. "Heterogeneous asymmetric hydrogenation of C=C bonds directed by surface-tethered chiral modifiers" D. J. Watson, R. B.R. J. Jesudason, S. K. Beaumont, G. Kyriakou, J. W. Burton, R. M. Lambert. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 14584.
26. "Deprotection, tethering and activation of a catalytically active porphyrin to a chemically active metal surface: [SAc]4P-Mn(III)Cl on Ag(100)"
M. Turner, O. P. H. Vaughan, G. Kyriakou, D. J. Watson, L. Scherrer,G. Davidson, J. K. Sanders, R. M. Lambert. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 1910.
27."Principles of hydrocarbon detection in ultra high vacuum: optimizing sensitivity and selectivity towards harmful species" A.V. Stevens, G. Kyriakou, R.B. Grant, R.M. Lambert.Sensor Actuat. B-Chem. 2009, 136, 359.
28. "Amperometric / potentiometric hydrocarbon sensors: real world solutions for use in ultra high vacuum" G. Kyriakou, A. V. Stevens, D. J. Davis, R. B. Grant, M. S. Tikhov and R. M. Lambert. J. Appl. Electrochem. 2008, 38, 1061.
29."The molecular mechanism of tropospheric nitrous acid production on mineral dust surfaces" R. J. Gustafson, G. Kyriakou, R. M. Lambert. ChemPhysChem 2008, 9, 1390.
30. "Towards the in situ remediation of carbon deposition on Ru capped multilayer mirrors intended for EUV Lithography: Exploiting the electron induced chemistry" D. J. Davis, G. Kyriakou, R. B. Grant, M. S. Tikhov, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. C 2007, 111, 12165.
31. "Electron impact-assisted carbon film growth on Ru(0001): implications for next generation EUV-lithography" G. Kyriakou, D. J. Davis, R. B. Grant, D. J. Watson, A. Keen, M. S. Tikhov, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. C 2007, 111, 4491.
32."Quantitative hydrocarbon sensor for utlra high vacuum applications" D. J. Davis, G. Kyriakou, R. B. Grant, M. S. Tikhov, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. C 2007, 111, 1491.
33."A novel, sensitive potentiometric hydrocarbon sensor for high vacuum applications" G. Kyriakou, D. J. Davis, R. B. Grant, M. S. Tikhov, A. Keen, P. Pakianathan, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110, 24571.
34."Tilt the molecule and change the chemistry: mechanism of S-promoted chemoselective catalytic hydrogenation of crotonaldehyde on Cu(111)" M. E. Chiu, D. J. Watson, G. Kyriakou, M. S. Tikhov, R. M. Lambert. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2006, 45, 7530.
35."Uptake of n-hexane, 1-butene and toluene by Au/Pt bimetallic surfaces: a tool for selective sensing of hydrocarbons under high vacuum conditions" D. J. Davis, G. Kyriakou, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110, 11958.
36. "Sulphur, normally a poison, strongly promotes chemoselective catalytic hydrogenation: stereochemistry and reactivity of crotonaldehyde on clean and S-modified Cu(111)" M. E. Chiu, G. Kyriakou, F. J. Williams, D. J. Watson, M. S. Tikhov, R. M. Lambert. Chem. Commun. 2006, 1283.
37."Sensitivity and selectivity of Pt electrodes for hydrocarbon sensing in an ultra high vacuum environment" G. Kyriakou, D. J. Davis and R. M. Lambert. Sensor Actuat. B-Chem. 2006, 116, 1013.
38."Structure and dynamics of gold atomic chains grown on Cu(110):experiment and theory" G. Kyriakou, F. J. Williams, M. S. Tikhov, A. Wander, R.M. Lambert. Phys. Rev. B 2005, 72, 121408.
39."Ultra dispersed copper as a selective catalyst for the epoxidation of propene" O. P. H. Vaughan, G. Kyriakou, N. MacLeod, M. S. Tikhov, R. M. Lambert. J. Catal. 2005, 238, 242.
40."Acetylene coupling on Cu(111): formation of butadiene, benzene and cyclo-octatetraene" G. Kyriakou, J. Kim, M. S. Tikhov, N.Macleod, R. M. Lambert. J. Phys. Chem. B 2005, 109, 10952.
41. Patent Number: WO2007144666-A1; TW200809426-A; EP2030083-A1; US2010043837-A1 Inventors: R. B. Grant, R. M. Lambert, D. J. Davis, G. Kyriakou Title: Contamination control method for surface exposed to carbonaceous material and ionizing radiation involves supplying second gas containing reducing species such as carbon oxide for reacting with oxidizing species on material surface. Publication Date: 21.12.2007 Patent Assignees: BOC GROUP PLC, CAMBRIDGE ENTERPRISE LTD, EDWARDS LTD