Head of Group - Mechanical Engineering and Design
Phone number: 0121 204 3608
Room number: MB 156
I am currently the Head of Group of Mechanical Engineering + Design at Aston and also head the Mechanical Engineering family of undergraduate programmes.
I am actively involved in the development of new approaches to engineering education and am an active collaborator in the global CDIO initiative.
I joined Aston University in January 2009, having previously been the course director of the Mechanical Engineering course at the University of Dundee.
In my time at Dundee I was involved in not only the Mechanical Engineering programme but I also set up a joint Product Design degree with Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art.
Qualifications & Education
- BEng (hons) Mechanical Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, 1989
- MPhil, Heriot-Watt University, 1992
- PhD in Laser Materials Processing, University of Dundee, 1998
- 2009 – date: Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Head of Group, Mechanical Engineering + Design, Aston University.
- 1993 – 2008: Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering, University of Dundee, Dundee
- 1991-1992: Research Associate – Laser Cutting Systems, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
- 1989 – 1990: Graduate Engineer, Lucas Diesel Systems, London & Gloucester
Currently I am the course director for the Mechanical Engineering family of Undergraduate degrees. My main teaching interests are in design and smart systems technology.
I am module leader for :
ME1501 : Design & Experimentation
ME2045 : Solid Mechanics
ME2502 : Design & Engineering for Industry
ME3070 : Solid Mechanics & Finite Element Analysis
I am also involved in student project work at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level.
My research interest relate to both pedagogy of engineering education and also biomedical engineering.
Within engineering education I am particularly interested in active learning approaches, workspace design and innovative assessment methodologies.
I also have a strong interest in biomedical engineering. In particular I am very keen to examine human factors and safety issues within healthcare technology.
Specific areas of interest include but are not limited to :
- Design for infection control
- Infection treatment
- Surgical safety - reducing risks in surgical procedures through new technology and testing methods.
- Interactions within healthcare systems
- Interface design
- Medical product ergonomics
- Smart systems design
I am also actively involved with ARCHA (Aston Research Centre in Health Ageing)
. I am a member of the research strand: 'Technologies supporting healthy ageing'.
I am always very keen to hear from possible PhD students interested in doing research in these areas. Please feel free to discuss possible projects.
Recent research funding
EPSRC : Suture safety and integrity equipment (EP/D003040/1)
KTP : Safety related issues in the design of offshore pumping units (KTP 348)
Photo-activated disinfection : Scottish Optoelectronics Forum (TTOM initiative)
Membership of Professional Bodies
Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers for whom I also sit on their Academic Assessment Committee.
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Recent Conference Papers :