Phone number: 0121 204 3541
Room number: NW322
I joined Aston University as Reader in Photonics in May 2001 and was promoted to Professor in June 2012. Prior to joining Aston I had spent 10 years as a Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer in the Physics Department at the University of Kent at Canterbury.
My higher education was obtained at the University of Oxford (BA in Physics at St. Catherine’s) and the University of Kent (PhD in Physics) and I have also spent time as a postdoc in the Department of Engineering Science at Oxford and in industry with GEC Research in Great Baddow, Chelmsford.
Qualifications & Education
- BA in Physics, University of Oxford, 1982
- PhD in Physics, University of Kent, 1988
- 2001 – date: Reader then Professor in Photonics, Aston Institute of Photonic Technologies, School of Engineering Science, Aston University
- 2007 – date: Director, Astasense Ltd.
- 1991 – 2001: Lecturer then Senior Lecturer in Physics, University of Kent
- 1988 – 1991: Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University
- 1989 – 1991: College Lecturer, Pembroke College, Oxford University
- 1983 – 1985: Research Scientist, GEC Research, Marconi Research Centre, Gt. Baddow, Chelmsford
I teach on modules EE1ESE and EE1DAE, which are integrated to form the core of the first year Electronic Engineering programmes. I also contribute to the final year module on Network Product Design, where I give a laboratory course on MIDI technoogy.
I am interested in teaching innovations that have the potential to encourage greater student engagement. To this end I introduced problem based learning in the second year analogue electronics course and together with my colleague Dr. Kate Sugden have transformed the teaching of electronics in the first year to a practical and project based activity, introducing students to electronic design at an early stage.
A member of the Photonics Research Group, I have 30 years’ research experience in the field of photonics, working in the areas of non-linear optics and optical fibre sensors and devices. I have published well over 300 journal and conference papers on these subjects, as well as a research text book on photorefractive nonlinear optics and several other book chapters.
Recent funding success
- Webb + partners, "SAFUEL," €250k (Aston component), EU FP7, 2012-2015
- Webb (coordinator), Sugden + partners, "TRIPOD" - €750k (Aston component), Marie Curie ITN, 2013-2017.
- Webb, Allsop, Mezentsev, "Grating and waveguide plasmonic sensors", £532k, EPSRC, 2012-2015.
- Webb, "POSSIBLE, " €200l, EU FP7 Marie Curie IEF, 2014-2016
- Gordon, Zhou, Webb + partners, "Fuel & Systems Integrated Research (FSIR)", £200k (Aston component), TSB, 2015-2017
Current PhD Supervision
Lutful Khan, Andreas Pospori, Sandra Donohoe
Membership of Professional Bodies
IoP, OSA, IEEE