Polymer Oxidation and Ageing
The aim is to develop a basic understanding of the complex problems of polymer oxidation and ageing which occur under conditions of both melt processing and service, especially under the effect of UV-light and high temperature. This enables us to design-in product stability for target applications requiring short or long term durability and efficient and reliable performance.
Stabilisation of Polymer & Related Materials for Lifetime Performance & Durability
A significant proportion of our research has been involved with stabilisation of polymers throughout all stages of single and multiple life-cycles: storage, melt processing, in-service including weathering, and re-processing for the purpose of polymer recycling and upgrading performance of recycled products.
Environmental and Sustainable Technological Developments
Recycling of Polymers: To study the various aspects of recycling of post-consumer plastics and upgrading the performance of recyclates for the purpose of enhanced stability and durability during second and subsequent lives of recycled products
Degradability of Polymers: To develop new routes for promoting polymer degradability with life-time control and the understanding of the degradation products formed.
Antioxidants and Additives from non-food crops: To establish suitability of newly developed bio-based antioxidants and additives for use in a range of applications.
The research of the Group on all aspects of polymer lifecycle including its processing and in-service performance
is applicable to a wide range of applications. Some examples of research projects investigated are given below:
- Polymer Nanocomposites: Processing and Long-term Stability
- Novel non-Migratory Antioxidants for human-contact applications
- Natural Antioxidants from non-food crops
- Vitamin E as polymer antioxidant; oxidation chemistry and products
- Durability of polymers for automotive exterior and under-the-bonnet
- Automotive paints & coatings: Lifetime performance
- Lubricating oils: oxidation and stabilisation
- Food packaging & migration of additives
- Defence applications: Stabilisation of rocket motors
- Agricultural applications : Time-control stabilisation and biodegradation
- Stabilisation of polymers by synthetic & biological antioxidants
- Degradation of polymers during melt processing & in-service
- Reactive Processing for Modification and functionalisation of polymers
- Recycling of mixed polymers & upgrading of recyclates Performance
- Water soluble and biodegradable polymers