The Science Bridge Project aims to implement efficient decentralised bio-energy systems and conduct widespread research in order to adopt these systems in the UK and India.
- To assess the scope for using wasteland and wastewater resources to cultivate energy crops in selected areas of the UK and India and to implement phytoremediation at 4 sites in India.
- To implement an intermediate pyrolysis-CHP plant in the UK, reduce its manufacturing cost through redesign and supply chain management, thus proving the concept for the UK and India alike.
- To improve and implement in rural India a tri-generation unit using a biomass-fired boiler and steam turbine, to transfer the unit to microenterprises in India, and to undertake preliminary technology transfer of this small-scale steam-based technology to the UK.
- To implement in India a hybrid solar-biomass energy plant using a steam turbine.
- To develop a feasible and sustainable technology management plan (both project and operational) whereby these initiatives can succeed through transferring to existing businesses or setting up new ones for the manufacture and use of the technology.