(11) WO 99/09955 (13) A1
(22) 24 August 1998 (24.08.1998)
(25) ENG (26) ENG
(31) 9717905.5 (32) 22 August 1997 (22.08.1997)
(43) 06 March 1999 (04.03.1999)
(51) 6 A61K 9/107, 47/24, 47/32
(54) LIPID-CONTAINING COMPOSITIONS AND USES THEREOF
(71) ASTON UNIVERSITY Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET ; (GB). [GB/GB].
(72)(75) TONGE, Stephen, Ronald 24 Flint Green Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham B27 6QA ; (GB) [GB/GB]. TIGHE, Brian, John 78 Reservoir Road, Solihull, West Midlands B92 8AW ; (GB) [GB/GB].
(74) H.N. & W.S. SKERRETT Charles House, 148/9 Great Charles Street, Birmingham B3 3HT ; (GB).
(81) AL, AM, AT, AU, AZ, BA, BB, BG, BR, BY, CA, CH, CN, CU, CZ, DE, DK, EE, ES, FI, GB, GE, GH, GM, HR, HU, ID, IL, IS, JP, KE, KG, KP, KR, KZ, LC, LK, LR, LS, LT, LU, LV, MD, MG, MK, MN, MW, MX, NO, NZ, PL, PT, RO, RU, SD, SE, SG, SI, SK, SL, TJ, TM, TR, TT, UA, UG, US, UZ, VN, YU, ZW ; AP ( GH, GM, KE, LS, MW, SD, SZ, UG, ZW); EA ( AM, AZ, BY, KG, KZ, MD, RU, TJ, TM ); EP ( AT, BE, CH, CY, DE, DK, ES, FI, FR, GB, GR, IE, IT, LU, MC, NL, PT, SE ); OA ( BF, BJ, CF, CG, CI, CM, GA, GN, GW, ML, MR, NE, SN, TD, TG )
Lipid-containing compositions are disclosed which provide surfactants and solubilising agents useful in medicine, biochemistry and other industries. The compositions comprise a membrane-forming polar lipid and a synthetic amphipathic polymer containing hydrophobic and anionic hydrophilic groups which preferably are evenly arranged along a linear backbone. In some embodiments the polymer is a copolymer, for example poly(maleic acid styrene) (PMAS), in which first and second monomer units are arranged in alternating relationship along its length.