International students FAQs

How can I apply? // What are the entry requirements? // Can I study part-time?

Can I do a sandwich course as an undergraduate? 

What are the fees? // Are there any scholarships?

Does the University help students to obtain their visas? // Can I start/enrol in January?

Can I arrive late? // Are IELTS exams necessary for admission?

What are the English requirements?


How can I apply?

Undergraduates need to apply through UCAS - see www.ucas.com for more details. Alternatively visit your nearest British Council office for information on UCAS.

Postgraduate research application forms can be downloaded from our website.

Click here to apply online to our postgraduate taught programmes.

What are the entry requirements?

International high school and university qualifications vary from country to country

See our website (international qualifications page)
Contact us if you want to know if your qualifications are acceptable

Can I study part-time?

International student visa requirements state that students must be on a full time course.
We do not normally offer any part-time postgraduate taught or undergraduate programmes.
Under special circumstances, arrangements can be made for some part-time taught postgraduate and research programmes

Can I do a sandwich course as an undergraduate?

Yes, international undergraduate students can do a sandwich year and do not require a work permit because the sandwich year is an integral part of their course.
Postgraduate programmes do not have a sandwich placement element.

What are the fees?

Please see our non-EU International students fees page.

Are there any scholarships?

Many programmes within the School of Engineering & Applied Science (EAS) offer a substantial entrance bursary to selected International students. The bursary offers a £3000 annual award to those international students proven to excel in their subject area.
This bursary is based strictly on merit, given to applicants with a record of academic excellence and is renewable on progression providing the high-level performance is sustained throughout your time at Aston. 

Please note that scholarships do not apply to the foundation year or placement year.

Postgraduate: there may be scholarships available for international postgraduate students.

Does the University help students to obtain their visas?

For information on UK visas please click here.

Can I start/enrol in January?

All full-time taught postgraduate and undergraduate programmes start in September/October of each academic year. There is no other start date for these programmes.
The majority of research programmes start in October, although research students may also enrol in January, April or July.

Can I arrive late?

If for any reason you are not able to arrive on time for enrolment, it may not be possible for you to start after lectures have begun.
Your enrolment will then be deferred to the following September.

Are IELTS exams necessary for admission?

Students are required to provide evidence of a formal English Language qualification. IELTS is just one of them. There are other tests such as TOEFL or IGCSE.

What are the English requirements?

All students require a recognised English language qualification such as

  • GCSE/‘O’ Level English (Grade C)
  • Indian CBSE/ICSE Std 12th English (70%+)
  • WAEC SSCE English (Grade C or better)
  • IELTS 6.0 overall (for undergraduate)
  • IELTS 6.5 overall (for postgraduate)
  • TOEFL 213 (CBT) / 550 (PBT) (for undergraduate)
  • TOEFL 250 (CBT) / 600 (PBT) (for postgraduate)

Please note that IELTS and TOEFL results more than 2 years old will not be accepted.