Support for care leavers

We contact all young people from care under the age of 25 offered a place at Aston University with information outlining the support which is available. We are able to identify if you have been in care by using information you have provided to UCAS.

Support during study

The Student Funds Administrator in the Hub may be able to offer you help if you are experiencing difficulties with your finances or are considering leaving Higher Education because you are finding it difficult to budget your day-to-day living costs.

Coming to university should be a rewarding experience and we are here to ensure that limited finance is not a barrier to your participation and the successful completion of your degree.

Please contact Patrick Coughlan in the Hub for further information by either emailing: p.j.coughlan@aston.ac.uk or by telephoning: 0121 204 4740

Student Finance England

The  factsheet here outlines the Student Finance England entitlements young people from care should receive. You will also find useful information about the repayment amounts when you finish your studies.


When applying to university via UCAS for entry onto a degree you now have the opportunity to indicate that you have been in care. If you were in care and meet basic eligibility you will receive a scholarship of £3,000 over the 4 years of your degree programme, this reduces to £2,000 if you are not taking the placement year.

These scholarships are available to home fee-paying students who are receiving financial support from Student Finance England and whose household income is up to and including £25,000 per year (2015 entry).

Finance assistance - Aston Support Fund

Care Leavers and students who have lived in temporary accommodation are a priority for financial assistance via the Aston Support Fund. 

Higher Education Bursary

Young people from care who are entering university from September 2009 and onward will be entitled to apply for a one-off £2,000 Care Leavers Bursary from their Local Authority. This Bursary can be accessed via your social worker/personal adviser.

If you live in Birmingham the contact details are:

18+ Service
PO Box 16378
Birmingham B2 2AH
Tel: 0121 464 1229

The Care Leavers Foundation - Grants scheme

The Care Leavers Foundation offer small grants to care leavers aged up to 29.

Apply for scheme

Checked & Updated 20/05/2015 PJC



How much will it cost?

How much will it cost?

Excellent Different Distinctive