The Royal Pharmaceutical Society will sponsor MPharm graduates under their Pharmacy Professional Sponsorship Scheme (PPSS). This will only be available to MPharm students enrolled in the UK on Pharmacy programmes who will graduate in 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015. If you wish to work in the UK for a while after the pre-reg (not possible with Tier 5, see below) it might be better to apply under Tier 2 (General), where the minimum annual salary for pre-reg students is £20,500. UK Visas and Immigration expect that migrants will have obtained or applied for their Tier 5 visa prior to starting their pre-reg placement.
What do I have to do if I want to apply for this visa?
The PPSS was introduced specifically to support those overseas (non-EEA) pharmacy students who were studying pharmacy at GB universities at the time of the closure of the Tier 1 Post-Study Work (PSW) visa in April 2012, and who:
• Graduate in 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 with an MPharm
• Have a pre-registration position (supernumerary) with a GPhC accredited premises
• Earn below the Tier 2 salary criteria; or whose placement is split i.e. six months in industry and six months in hospital
• Are RPS members.
If you meet the above criteria and are eligible to apply, you need to do the following:
1. Read the PPSS handbook on the RPS website for more information on how the scheme works.
2. Apply for your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) no more than 3 months before your pre-reg placement is due to start. You will need to complete the PPSS application form which is on the RPS website. There are sections that must be completed by yourself, your employer and the School of Pharmacy (Aston). You will need to book an appointment with Monjur Ahmed in The Hub as she will need to complete the School of Pharmacy section of the application form, check it is correctly and fully completed, see original copies of your documents and verify photocopies of them. Without the verified copies of these documents the RPS will not issue a CoS to you. Once the application form is complete and all relevant documents are copied and verified, Laura will send this to the RPS on your behalf.
3. The RPS will issue you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) confirming that they will sponsor you for the duration of your pre-reg placement. You will need the CoS for your Tier 5 GAE visa application.
4. Apply for the Tier 5 GAE visa. You should book another appointment with Monjur Ahmed in The Hub before you apply so that he can check your visa application form and documents.
For more information please read the FAQs on the RPS website.
Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa
Alternatively you may be able to apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa. This visa is only available to 18-30 year olds of certain nationalities but if you are eligible to apply it will give you permission to work full-time in the UK for 2 years. See the Tier 5 Temporary Work webpage for further details.