STS Banner

The Short Term Study visa is a short visa that allows you to study at Aston University for 6 months or less. If it is confirmed that you need this visa, then you do not need to apply for a Tier 4 General visa.

Do I require a Short Term Study Visa?

The following situations are when you will likely need a Short Term Study visa:

If you are on a longer course at Aston but you are asked by your school of study to repeat assessments without attendance (for example - just sitting the exams in January or June), you may need to leave the UK and return with a short term study visa to complete your assessments. If you think this applies to you, please contact an International Student Adviser to discuss the situation.
If you are currently studying a degree course overseas and have been accepted to study in the UK as part of an exchange programme of less than 6 months, then the Short Term Study visa may be the appropriate visa to get. For example, you are currently studying a bachelors course overseas and you will be coming to Aston for 1 semester.
If you are currently registered as an Aston student studying a distance learning course overseas, and need to enter the UK to partake in a short period of UK based study as part of the course. For example, you are completing an MBA overseas via distance learning and need to enter for 1 week for mandatory UK based tutorials. 
If you are currently studying a PhD at an overseas University and have been invited by Aston University to partake in some research as part of your thesis.

How do I apply for a Short Term Study Visa?

Your School at Aston University will supply you with the mandatory short term study visa letter confirming your course details and other information. You will need to submit this letter with your application.

You will generally also need the following documents to support your application, try and get these documents before you apply online:

  1. Passport
  2. Passport sized photographs
  3. Evidence that you can financially support yourself during your stay in the UK
  4. Proof of accommodation
  5. Official Short Term Study letter from Aston University
  6. Proof of overseas study

Please refer to the UKVI website here and the UKCISA website here for more in depth information about what documents you need for this visa application 

To apply online, please visit the Visa4UK website.

The short term study visa was formerly known as the student visitor visa. When applying online, please make sure you do not apply for a General Visitor Visa as we may not be able to enrol you on this visa. Please select the following options when applying:

[ Zoom ]
STS categories

Please note that a CAS number is not required for a Short Term Study visa application.

Please email issu@aston.ac.uk for further advice about the Short Term Visa application if you are unsure of anything. 


I heard that I do not need to apply for a Short Term Study visa

If you are a national of any of the countries listed in Appendix 2 (Visa national list) here, then you will definitely need to apply for the Short Term Study visa before you travel to the UK. This is known as applying for Entry Clearance.

However if you are a national of a country that is not on the above list (e.g. USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Malaysia etc) then you are considered a Non-Visa national. This means that instead of applying for the Short Term Study visa before you travel, you have the option of obtaining Short Term Study permission at the UK border when you cross through immigration.

If you are a non-visa national and you wish to just get stamped in at the border, then you must bring all of the same documents to present at the border that you would have used if you applied for entry clearance. You must make it very clear to the Immigration official that you wish to enter as a "Short Term Study" student and present all of your documents. This means that you must carry all documents in your hand luggage.    

If you are successful then your stamp must clearly state you have been stamped in as a Short Term Study student. If you have been stamped in with any other visa (e.g. normal visitor) then we may not be able to allow you to study in the UK.

*We recommend that all nationals apply for a Short Term Study visa (entry clearance) in order to avoid confusion at the border.

Medical Insurance

As you will only be coming to the UK for less than 6 months, you will not be asked to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge to help cover healthcare costs in the UK. This means that if you require certain healthcare services in the UK, such as hospital aftercare, then you will be liable to pay for this and this can be extremely expensive.

We highly recommend that before you travel to the UK, you arrange private medical insurance to cover medical costs in the UK should you require it. Please see this page for further information.

Page last updated 20/02/2017 VN