Healthcare and emergencies in the UK

The Halcyon Medical Centre is the doctor's surgery nearest to campus.  It offers a confidential student health service and welcomes students who live on campus and within the Greater Birmingham area. You are invited to register with the Medical Centre as part of your enrolment at the University or at any other time that the Centre is open. Halcyon are part of the National Health Service (NHS).

The Halcyon Medical Centre can be found on the lower ground floor (in the basement) of Boots the Chemist, just ten minutes walk from campus on High Street (opposite Marks & Spencer). The Halycon Medical Centre is open seven days a week - on weekdays and at the weekend. It forms part of the Birmingham Health Care Floor in Boots which includes additional services such as a Sexual Health Clinic, Dental Outreach and a Walk-in Centre. 

On weekdays, during undergraduate term time, Halcyon provide a nurse led Student Health Clinic on the Aston University campus located in the Health Clinics building (behind the Library). The Health Clinic is open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 10.30am until 3.30pm and on Tuesdays from 9am until 11.30am and again from 2pm until 4.30pm.  There is a doctor at the Student Health Clinic on Tuesday mornings and Wednesday lunchtimes.  There is also an opticians and a dental surgery in the Health Clinics building on campus.

If you are already registered with a GP in the UK, your medical records can be obtained quickly from your previous GP. This enables Halcyon to give you the best possible health service. If you have a UK medical card which has your NHS number printed on it, please bring it with you to speed up the registration process.

If you do not have access to your medical card, or have not previously been registered with a GP in the UK, then please complete the GMS 1 form included in your Enrolment Pack.

If you are an international student wanting to know about health care whilst you are in the UK, please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website

International students on a course lasting 6 months or less, are advised to take out medical insurance for the UK because you will have to pay for medical care.  Only emergency treatment in a NHS hospital Accident and Emergency department is free. 

Medical emergencies

If you need immediate medical assistance (for example because of an accident) you should telephone 999, which is a free phone number. Your call will be put through to an operator who will ask which emergency service you require (Fire, Police, Ambulance).

For students living on campus: If you need an ambulance or other emergency service, please call Security on 2222 - do not call the ambulance service direct, as Security need to allow access to these services and need to know the exact location of the emergency. This will help to improve response times of the emergency services.

Health Centre

Further information

Last updated 12/01/15 MR

Excellent Different Distinctive