Police registration

As a condition of your visa, you may need to register with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK. You will have a line on your visa which states that you need to register with the Police. Students from certain countries are required to register with the Police. If you are unsure, please contact us. If your personal details change, you must inform the police.

Please remember: If you are required to register, but fail to do so, or don't keep your details up-to-date, you will be breaking your visa regulations. This is a serious offence.

Registering with the Police for the first time

If you are arriving at the start of the academic year in September or October, please contact the Hub Reception to ask about police registration. 
If you arrive at other times in the year, you will need to go to the Overseas Visitors Registration Office in person to register with the police. When you first go to register with the police, you will need to take the following things with you:

  • your valid passport and visa
  • two identical passport sized photographs
  • £34 (correct change if possible). Do not take a £50 note. card payments may be accepted at the Overseas visitors Registration Office.
  • Details of your address in the UK (including postcode). You can also use an enrolment or offer letter from Aston University - which includes your address.
  • your completed Police Registration application form. A Printed copy of this is available from the Hub Reception. 

Updating your existing Police Registration Certificate:

You must inform the Police within seven days if any the following details change. Your: 

  • address (you need to update your Police Registration Certificate even if you are in temporary accommodation).
  • university / college
  • course
  • work place
  • marital status
  • visa, visa conditions or expiry date
  • passport

To update your details you need to complete a registration form and provide proof of your new details. You will need to take your current Police registration certificate to the Overseas Visitors Registration Office in person to change your details. There is no charge for updating your existing West Midlands Police registration Certificate.
A list of documents required is available from the Hub Reception. 

Overseas Visitors Registration Office

The Overseas Visitors Registration Office is located at:

Digbeth Police Station
113 Digbeth
B5 6DT

Telephone Number: 0121 626 5307

Opening hours and a map to the Police station can be found on the Overseas Visitors registration Office website. You can also pick up a map to the Overseas Visitors Registration Office from the Hub Reception.

Last checked PD 21/01/2015