Under the Points Based Immigration System (PBS), the University is the educational sponsor for your Tier 4 visa. Aston University holds a Tier 4 Sponsor licence (formerly known as a Highly Trusted Sponsor licence).
As your Tier 4 visa sponsor, the University is obliged to monitor your attendance and progress on your course and check you are not doing anything which breaks the conditions of your visa. Therefore, the University must keep records about you and report any changes or problems to the UK Border Agency.
What records are kept by Aston University? // When must Aston report me to the UKBA? // What should I do?
What if I need to leave during term time? // Further information
What records are kept by Aston University?
We (the University) must make and store a scanned copy of your passport and of your visa or biometric residence permit. If you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, we need to have a copy too. ATAS is needed for some postgraduates in the Life & Health Sciences School and in the Engineering School.
- We must keep up to date information on your contact details; it is your responsibility to ensure your contact details are up to date by using My Aston Portal (MAP). You will be shown how to use MAP when you first arrive at the University.
When must Aston report me to the UK Border Agency?
We have to tell the UK Border Agency:
- If you do not enrol on your course.
- If you defer, postpone or take a break from your studies for any reason.
- If, on a regular basis, you fail to attend a class or lecture or fail to submit academic work.
- If you change to a shorter course or you complete your studies early.
- If you break the conditions of your visa e.g. by working more than 20 hours per week in term time or by failing to register with the police if you are asked to do so.
- If you change immigration status and are no longer in the UK as a student.
You must provide us with all the information needed to help us to meet these reporting duties. If you do not do this, the UK Border Agency may investigate us and take action against us which may, in turn, affect you.
What should I do?
How you can help us:
Use MAP (the student portal on the internet) to tell us when your UK address or your mobile phone number changes.
If you have a new visa, renew or change your visa, please go to The Hub Advice Zone on the ground floor of the Main Building and take your passport and visa with you. The Hub will take a scanned copy of your new visa details. * This is not necessary if the International Student Advisers have obtained your new visa for you because they will automatically update University records.
If you are unable to attend lectures or sessions on your programme, for example because you are ill, please contact your School of Study to let them know.
If any other problems affect your attendance, please tell your School of Study or speak to one of the International Student Advisers based in The Hub Advice Zone.
If you have a meeting with a member of staff, you must attend that meeting on time or contact them to let them know why you are unable to attend.
Please see the information about authorised absences.
If you would like further information on Sponsorship duties, please contact one of the International Student Advisers who are based in
The Hub Advice Zone.
Upper Foyer Main Building, email@example.com, 0121 204 4567
This page was checked and updated on 14/04/2015 AJW