Thank you for your interest in The Aston Support Fund. We welcome applications from Home students who are in unexpected financial difficulties. If you would like to discuss this to see if your situation meets this eligibility please contact us.
If you apply and your application is successful there are different ways we may help you. This could be by awarding you a non-repayable grant, an interest-free short-term loan or providing you with money advice that is tailored to your needs.
The awards provided from this fund are considered by assessing your circumstances on a case by case basis. You may be considered for financial assistance if you are experiencing an unforeseen situation that will not be resolved in the near future and that has impacted on your financial capability to afford your basic living costs.
Awards from the Aston Support Fund are offered as part of a short-term solution of between 1-12 weeks.
If you have any questions about this fund please email: email@example.com
Aston Support Fund, £200 DSA laptop student contribution grant:
If you have applied for DSA and your confirmation of funding letter includes the purchase of a laptop, you may be awarded a one-off £200 grant to cover your contribution towards the cost of the laptop, if you meet the following criteria:
• You are current Aston University Student
• Your household income is below £25,000
• You are unable to cover the initial student contribution yourself
To apply for the grant, please use the 'Apply for the £200 DSA laptop contribution grant now' section below.
This fund is for current fully-enrolled Aston University students. If you are not fully enrolled when you apply your application will be rejected.
To apply you complete an online application form and discuss the finances you had in place to cover your tuition fees and living costs. You also need to explain what has happened to change the financial provision you made prior to enrollment/re-enrollment.
You will be asked to submit supporting documents of your circumstances. This is needed so that we can fully consider your situation and assess your income and basic outgoings.
Stages of the application:
For your application to be considered you need to demonstrate and illustrate through supporting evidence:
1) That you made enough financial provision to fully fund your tuition fees and a basic level of living costs before starting the course (or active year). This financial provision could for example be from sources such as Student Finance England, a Professional & Career Development Loan, Scholarships, Savings, Employment or family contributions.
2) That your situation is unexpected (it could not normally have been planned for), that it is short-term/could be resolved between 1 and 12 weeks and that currently you have no other sources of income. This will be demonstrated though the application form and supported with the documentary evidence that you submit as a part of your application.
Your application will be carefully considered in a fair and confidential environment on the basis of what you have included in your application form and the documentary evidence that you provide to support the circumstances that you have described in your application form.
As part of the normal assessment process we may ask you to come into the Hub for an appointment to discuss your circumstances in a bit more detail. We may also ask you to see an adviser for advice on the management of debt, money advice and budgeting assistance.
If we consider you to have a financial need we may award you a grant a short-term loan or a combination of both.
Aston Support Fund Policy (for applications submitted from 01/08/2016)
Aston Support Fund Policy (for applications prior to 01/08/2016)