Immigration/ID checks necessary prior to working for University


In accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act of 2006, the University is required to record information about its employees (to include students) and check certain original documents. We must check the documents of ALL students who will be working for Schools and Colleges' Liaison either as Student Ambassadors throughout the year or on Open Days.

We will therefore need you to bring in your original (i.e. not a photocopy) immigration documents regardless of your nationality prior to starting work. Please bear this in mind when returning to University after the summer break, you will need these documents here with you!

Please note that ALL documentation must be in-date. Some key points to consider:

   UK nationals

o   A valid, in-date passport is an acceptable form of identification.

o   if you do not have a valid passport you can bring in your National Insurance card AND full-length Birth Certificate (the full-length UK Birth Certificate will have at least one parent name on it. Please note that shorter length Birth Certificates CANNOT be accepted)

o   A UK Driver’s Licence is NOT an acceptable form of identification.

  EU/EEA nationals

o   A valid, in-date passport or National Identity Card is an acceptable form of identification.

o   Croatian Nationals should provide a valid purple registration certificate or contact HR for further details (HR_helpdesk@aston.ac.uk)

 International (Non UK or EU/EEA)

o   We will need to see your in-date passport AND your current visa/work permit.

The University has the right to refuse employment if you are unable to provide satisfactory documentation. Further information can be found on the UK Border Agency website:  http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk.