A typical appointment with a Student Writing Mentor will last between 30 – 60 minutes. To make the most of your appointment, we recommend that you:
- Attach an example of your academic writing to your session request (this can be an old assignment or a draft version of a current assignment – make sure it is not the original copy, the LDC are not responsible for your assignments). Alternatively, bring your example along to your session
- Turn up at the appointed time. If you arrive late, you will receive less time with the Writing Mentor.
- Think about what you want to achieve from the session (e.g. improve your assignment structure, develop an assignment outline, improve use of academic writing style). Remember: be realistic about what you can achieve in 30 – 60 minutes.
- If you cannot attend your appointment, please let the LDC know as soon as possible
- Do not bring along an assignment which is due to be handed in shortly (e.g. within two days of your appointment). The Writing Mentors role is to help you develop your approaches to academic writing. That development will take time and you need to allow for this. The Writing Mentors do not provide a ‘quick fix’ solution. The aim is to make you a more confident and independent learner and writer.
If you have any questions about the Writing Mentors Project, please contact us.