Key facts Course dates: August – September 2017
Entry Requirements: Please refer to the "English language requirements" section on our Pre-sessional courses page.
For fees information, please refer to the section titled "Course dates and fees" on our Pre-sessional courses page
Application and contact: To apply for a place, please visit our Pre-sessional courses page Tel: +44 (0)121 204 3777
Key benefits Learn skills essential for your future academic success.
Take time to become more confident about studying in a linguistic and cultural environment different from your own.
Accredited by The British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP).
English Academic Skills for UK study is a 4 week intensive “preparation for study” course, designed to allow you time to enhance and focus on your English academic language and study skills, so that you can be better prepared for your future degree programme.
During your time on the course you will have the opportunity to:
- develop your awareness of academic conventions and practices
- hone your skills in academic style and practise by emulating typical academic text types such as essays, proposals, research projects and literature reviews
- expand your knowledge and application of academic listening strategies, review effective presentation skills and reinforce seminar participation skills
- cultivate your critical approaches to reading and refine your research skills
- focus on continuous improvement in grammatical accuracy and academic English vocabulary
Learning and Teaching Methods
You will be taught by qualified and experienced staff who are specialists in teaching English for academic purposes. You will take part in interactive workshops, seminars, tutorials and lectures as well as small-group work, project work and private study. You will regularly use multimedia materials in class and you will be able to access extra resources online via our Virtual Learning Environment.
Assessment and Feedback
The assessment of your performance on the course will be based on a written assignment and an individual presentation. You will also be expected to attend all classes, participate in class activities and work in groups.
Your lecturers will provide you with support and guidance throughout your course and you will receive detailed feedback on your progress at regular intervals in tutorials, as well and advice on strategies to adopt for the coming academic year.
Students successfully completing our pre-sessional programmes will be awarded a module certificate.