I joined Aston Medical School in October 2014, having spent the previous years as an Endocrinology fellow at the University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire (Coventry, UK).
I have obtained my medical degree with first-class honours from Athens Medical School (Athens, Greece) and I have been involved in biomedical research since my medical school years. I have worked in several clinical and research posts with primary interest in endocrinology and metabolism. In my previous posts I have been responsible for the completion of several research studies and clinical trials and for contributing to the training of medical students and junior doctors.
I have also completed my PhD in medicine at Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick (Coventry, UK) which was focused on obesity-related complications and pathophysiology. My main research interests involve obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and stress.
I contribute to the development of courses in metabolic medicine/metabolism for undergraduate and postgraduate students. I have also authored several book chapters in the field of endocrinology/metabolism for the curriculum of endocrinology training seminars organised by the Hellenic Endocrinology Association. I contribute to the training of medical students and junior doctors at the University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire. My role also involves setting up and supervising research projects focused on the pathophysiology of obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome and chronic stress for postgraduate students obtaining a research degree.
My research projects will be focusing on the pathophysiology of polycystic ovary syndrome, obesity, and chronic stress (HPA axis). Potential candidates are welcomed to contact me with an idea for a research project in these areas or a fully developed proposal.
I. ORIGINAL ARTICLES
• Tsigos C, Papanicolaou DA, Defensor R, Mitsiadis C, Kyrou I, Chrousos GP. Dose-effects of recombinant human IL-6 on pituitary hormone secretion and energy expenditure. Neuroendocrinology 1997; 66: 54-62.
• Tsigos C, Papanicolaou DA, Kyrou I, Defensor R, Mitsiadis C, Chrousos GP. Dose-effects of recombinant human IL-6 on glucose regulation. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 1997; 82: 4167-4170.
• Tsigos C, Papanicolaou DA, Kyrou I, Chrousos GP. Prolonged suppression of corticosteroid-binding globulin by recombinant human IL-6 in man. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 1998; 83: 3379.
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I, Chala E, Tsapogas P, Stauridis I, Raptis S, Katsilambros N. Circulating TNF-a concentrations are higher in abdominal versus peripheral obesity. Metabolism, 1999; Oct; 48(10):1332-5.
• Tsigos C, Papanicolaou DA, Kyrou I, Chrousos GP. Dose-effects of recombinant human IL-6 on the pituitary-testicular axis. Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, 1999; Nov; 19(11):1271-6.
• Papanicolaou DA, Mullen N, Kyrou I, Nieman LK. Night-time salivary cortisol: A useful test for the diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2002 Oct; 87(10):4515-21.
• Kyrou I, Chrousos GP, Tsigos C. Stress, visceral obesity, and metabolic complications. Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, 2006; 1083: 77-110.
• Kyrou I, Valsamakis G, Tsigos C. Endocannabinoid system as a target for the treatment of visceral obesity and metabolic syndrome. Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, 2006; 1083: 270-305.
• Kyrou I, Tsigos C. Stress mechanisms and metabolic complications. Hormone and Metabolic Research, 2007; 39(6): 430-8.
• Kyrou I, Tsigos C. Chronic stress, visceral obesity and gonadal dysfunction. Hormones. 2008; 7(4):287-93.
• Tsiotra PC, Tsigos C, Anastasiou E, Yfanti E, Boutati E, Souvatzoglou E, Kyrou I, Raptis SA. Peripheral mononuclear cell resistin mRNA expression is increased in type 2 diabetic women. Mediators Inflamm. 2008; 2008:892864.
• Kyrou I, Tsigos C. Obesity in the elderly diabetic patient – is weight loss beneficial? Diabetes Care, 2009 Nov; 32 Suppl 2:S403-9.
• Kyrou I, Tsigos C. Stress hormones: physiological stress and regulation of metabolism. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2009 Dec; 9(6):787-93.
• Osei-Assibey G, Kyrou I, Adi A, Kumar S, Matyka K. Dietary and lifestyle interventions for weight management in adults from minority ethnic/non-White groups: a systematic review. Obes Rev. 2010 Nov; 11(11):769-76.
• Kyrou I, Kumar S. Weight management in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. The British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease 2010; 10: 274-283.
• Osei-Assibey G, Kyrou I, Kumar S, Saravanan P, Matyka KA. Self-Reported psychosocial health in obese patients before and after weight loss. J Obes. 2010;2010. doi: pii: 372463. 10.1155/2010/372463.
• Arasaradnam RP, Quraishi N, Kyrou I, Nwokolo CU, Joseph M, Kumar S, Bardhan KD, Covington JA. Insights into 'fermentonomics': evaluation of VOCs in human disease using an electronic 'e-nose'. J Med Eng Technol. 2011 Feb; 35(2):87-91.
• Osei-Assibey G, Adi A, Kyrou I, Kumar S, Matyka K. Pharmacotherapy for overweight/obesity in ethnic minorities and white Caucasians: a systematic review. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2011 May; 13(5):385-93.
• Kyrou I, Osei-Assibey G, Williams N, Thomas R, Halder L, Taheri S, Saravanan P, Kumar S. Self-reported disability in adults with severe obesity. J Obes. 2012;2011:918402. doi: 10.1155/2011/918402.
• Bradnova O*, Kyrou I*, Hainer V, Vcelak J, Halkova T, Sramkova P, Dolezalova K, Fried M, McTernan P, Kumar S, Hill M, Kunesova M, Bendlova B, Vrbikova J. Laparoscopic greater curvature plication in morbidly obese women with type 2 diabetes: effects on glucose homeostasis, postprandial triglyceridemia and selected gut hormones. Obes Surg. 2014 May;24(5):718-26.
II. BOOK CHAPTERS
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I.: Neuroendocrine regulation of metabolism. In: Seminars in Endocrinology: Neuroendocrinology, Published by the Hellenic Endocrinology Association, Athens, Greece, 2003.
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I.: Molecular actions of the thyroid hormones. Thyroid receptors and thyroid hormone resistance syndromes. In: Seminars in Endocrinology: Thyroid. Published by the Hellenic Endocrinology Association, Athens, Greece, 2004.
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I, Chrousos GP.: Stress, endocrine manifestations and diseases: The research and the practice. In: Cooper GL (Ed), Handbook of Stress Medicine and Health, 2nd Edition, CRC Press, Boca Barton, Florida, USA, 2004.
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I.: Obesity and the gonadal axis. In: Panidis D. (Ed), Endocrinology of reproduction, Published by the Hellenic Endocrinology Association, Athens, Greece, 2004.
• Kyrou I, Tsigos C.: Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis. In: van Heerden J, Linos D (Eds), Adrenal Glands: Diagnostic Aspects and Surgical Therapy, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and Heidelberg, Germany, 2005.
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I.: Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis interactions with inflammatory cytokines and the metabolic syndrome. In: Seminars in Endocrinology: Metabolic Syndrome. Published by the Hellenic Endocrinology Association, Athens, Greece, 2006.
• Tsigos C, Kyrou I.: Stress, Insulin Resistance and Type II Diabetes. In: Fink G. (Ed), Encyclopedia of Stress, 2nd edition, Academic Press, San Diego, USA, 2007.
• Kyrou I, Tsigos C.: HPA Axis, adipose tissue and the metabolic syndrome. In: Seminars in Endocrinology: Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis. Published by the Hellenic Endocrinology Association, Athens, Greece, 2007.
• Kyrou I, Haukeland JW, Bhala N, Kumar S.: Metabolic syndrome, diabetes and NASH. In: Kopelman P, Caterson I, Dietz W. (Eds), Clinical Obesity in Adults & Children, 3rd Edition, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2010.
• Kyrou I, Randeva H, Weickert MO.: Clinical problems caused by obesity. In: Weickert MO (Ed), Obesity. Endotext.org, 2014.