It's our aim to give students not only an insight into what it is like to work within the medical field but to also give them information, advice and guidance around how to successfully apply to medical school, what it is like to study medicine as a degree, increase their attainment and learn more about other healthcare professions.
This programme is made up of a range of activities and events which will run during years 12 and 13, with the aim of preparing students to enter a medical school and other healthcare pathways. The range of activities and events include:
- Pathway to Healthcare launch: Find out more information on the programme and details of future events.
- Medical taster days - 3 events: Students will meet their mentors, explore aspects that can be studied during a medical degree, look at other professions within the NHS, network with healthcare professionals and prepare for their work experience placements.
- Aston masterclass and sixth form conference days: A series of workshops delivered by academics designed to enrich student’s current studies and discover more about studying a subject outside of medicine, such as audiology, optometry and pharmacy.
- Work experience placements – Easter Holiday, May Half Term and/or Summer Holiday: Up to one week’s worth of work experience will be arranged for the students by Aston Medical School, in either a local GP practice or hospital.
- UCAS application day: An interactive day of workshops where students learn more about: the UCAS Application process; including how to create a successful personal statement, how to choose the right course and university, how to budget and what student finance is available.
- Summer School - Research project: A three day programme which allows students to embark on a specific medical learning experience. Students will receive lectures from our academics, be involved in interactive workshops, run experiments and have access to independent learning spaces to complete a piece of research around an ethical topic.
- UKCAT and UCAS application support session: The UKCAT (The UK Clinical Aptitude Test) will provide up to date knowledge on the challenges of the UKCAT test, as well as giving students the chance to practice the tests themselves. Staff from Aston Medical School will also be on hand to answer any questions about the general UCAS process.
- MMI and interview practice: The chance to practice the Medicine Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) model, a way of interviewing students used by many medical schools. Students will be tested on a variety of scenarios, as well as being able to practice a formal interview with a panel of admissions and academic staff.
- Easter A2 Exam Bootcamp: A three day A Level revision bootcamp, in maths, chemistry or biology. Students will learn, revise and study one subject area intensively, with the chance to review progress through assessments and 1-2-1 feedback.
- Graduation Event: A celebration bringing together all students who have taken part in the Pathways to Healthcare Programme.
- A Level results day support: Aston Medical School staff will be available on results day for students to talk through future options.
The calendar of events shows the dates of these activities.