An innovative curriculum, a fantastic campus and highly respected staff: just a few of many reasons to choose Aston Medical School.
What makes Aston Medical School special?
There are many things that make Aston Medical School special, such as:
- Our curriculum is patient-centred. It will help you to develop the core competencies in medicine, gain key teamwork skills and understand the workings of the internationally admired NHS (National Health Service). It has been designed to equip you with the clinical expertise needed to embark on your foundation doctor years, while encouraging you to develop the caring and compassionate attitude required for developing into a safe practitioner. Important to us is the principle of paying particular attention to sections of society where improvements in health and life expectancy are not keeping pace with the rest of the population. It’s this principle that has informed our main areas of research and which will be fed into our teaching.
- Learn in an environment dedicated to promoting internationalisation; we are the first UK public medical school to offer the majority of our places to international fee paying students each year.
- Opportunity to gain a postgraduate certificate in Enhanced Leadership and Clinical Management. This is completed in conjunction with the triple accredited Aston Business School and is unique to our programme.
- Experience early patient contact from year one through this patient based curriculum and apprenticeship-based course.
- Study at one of the UK’s only institutions to hold a prestigious 5 star global rating in teaching, employability, innovation, facilities, inclusiveness, and internationalisation by QS Stars University Rating 2016.
- Develop interprofessional learning with the unique opportunity to interact with the highly ranked Schools of Pharmacy and Optometry at the School of Life & Health Sciences.
- Gain knowledge directly from our world-class researchers, excellent tutors, lecturers and experienced consultants who make up the Aston Medical Research Institute.
What kind of student is Aston Medical School looking for?
We will admit a small cohort of 60 undergraduate medical students in September 2018. In line with our mission to promote social mobility and international connectivity we will be inviting applications from both international fee paying students and those local UK students who have successfully completed our Sir Doug Ellis Pathway to Healthcare Programme.
It is our mission to empower you to become the next generation of doctors and scientists to make a global impact on health and medicine. We expect our future students to be ambitious, intellectually curious and compassionate.
What facilities does Aston University have to offer?
As an Aston student you get the best of both worlds: a green, well-equipped, friendly campus in the centre of the vibrant city of Birmingham. With our entire social, support and academic facilities based on campus you’ll never have far to go. The multi-million pound newly developed Aston Student Villages provide on-campus accommodation and international students are guaranteed a place for the full duration of their study (* Places for international students, subject to the conditions outlined in the annual application policy. Applications need to be renewed by the deadline each year). Our student village was recently ranked top in the UK in the International Student Barometer survey.
Campus facilities include:
What is the city of Birmingham like?
Birmingham is the UK’s second largest city and located in the Midlands area of England. It is culturally diverse and rich in history, so you will be sure to find something to suit your tastes and interests. With our campus based in the city centre it’s just a 10 minute walk to reach all the facilities you would expect in a modern city such as excellent rail, bus and metro links, world class shopping centres and entertainment venues. Birmingham truly is a great city to live and study in. Find out more here.
What facilities will Aston Medical School students be able to access?
Aston Medical School facilities will be located on our city center campus ensuring you are close to the library and accommodation. The facilities you will benefit from include well-equipped clinical skills training rooms, laboratories, lecture theatres, group work rooms, and seminar rooms, all with state-of-the-art IT and audio-visual systems. You will also have access to IT facilities, self-study spaces and social areas. Students joining us in 2018 will be based in modern recently renovated lecture rooms and teaching space in our Vision Sciences Building. The Aston Medical School building, with purpose built spaces exclusive to our students is scheduled to open in 2019.*
*Subject to change and alterations. All images shown are artist impressions.