The annual MARG conference is being held on 23 - 24 November 2017. This conference concentrates on discussing the research agenda in management accounting and has provided an important forum and support network for management accounting practitioners and researchers in the UK and worldwide for more than 30 years.
Presenting Author and Doctoral Student Presenting Author
- Conference registration is free of charge for one presenter per paper. At least one author/presenter per paper must be registered
- Presenters with multiple submissions need only register once
- Registration includes lunch and refreshments on both days and one place at the conference dinner
- In addition PhD Presenting Authors can apply for one night complimentary accommodation for the 23rd November 2017. Please note that we have a limited number only of complimentary rooms
- Cost £110.00
- Registration includes refreshments, lunch and conference dinner. Accommodation is not included
Student / Doctoral student (non presenters)
- We have a limited number of complimentary places to the conference proceedings, including lunch and Doctoral student special rate for conference dinner: £20
Call for papers
This is the 2nd call for the annual MARG/MCA conference, to be held on Thursday 23 and Friday 24 November 2017 at Aston Business School, Birmingham.
Papers are invited that address any area of research and practice into management accounting or management control. This year, the special interest of ‘Management Control and Accounting for Sustainability and Strategic Decision Making’ will showcase current academic thinking and professional developments.
Each day of the conference and will include some plenary presentations and a panel discussion. Invited speakers at this year’s conference include:
- Ian Thomson, Professor of Accounting and Sustainability, University of Birmingham
- Suzana Grubnic, Senior Lecturer in Accounting, University of Loughborough
- Jean-Pascal Gond, Professor of Corporate Social Responsibility, CASS Business School
- Christian Herzig, Professor of Management in the International Food Industry, University of Kassel
- Martin P Thomas, Consultant and co-author of The Multi-Capital Scorecard
- Richard Spencer, Head of Sustainability at ICAEW
- Erik Strauss, Professor of Accounting and Control, Witten/Herdecke University, Germany
The conference and the panel on day 1 will be chaired by Professor Elaine Harris, who is also chair of the Management Control Association (MCA). There will be an ICAEW representative and some of the plenary speakers on the panel for a question and answer session to encourage audience participation.
The first day ends with a conference dinner where delegates will have the opportunity to meet and discuss their research interests and practice developments in a relaxed setting. The second day will consist mainly of parallel sessions in which research in various stages of development will be presented. PhD students and early career researchers are particularly encouraged to present their work in this forum. The day will conclude with a plenary presentation and a CIMA led panel on “sustainability of the finance profession”.
The Journal of Management Control will consider papers for a Special Issue. Submission to the Special Issue is not restricted to this conference.
Full papers (or extended abstracts) should be submitted by 11th Sep 2017.
We gratefully acknowledge funding from the ICAEW’s charitable trusts that enables us to offer a limited number of free of charge places for doctoral students who have papers accepted for presentation at the conference. The support of the Management Control Association and CIMA is also gratefully acknowledged.