A member of the Work and Organisational Psychology Group, Joint Director of the Aston India Centre for Applied Research and Joint Co-Editor-in-Chief of British Journal of Management, Pawan is globally renowned for his research into the international aspects of HRM, and has held many visiting professorships worldwide.
Pawan’s research interests lie mainly in the linkages between HRM and performance in different international contexts. He conducts the majority of his empirical work in emerging markets, especially in India. Pawan’s work is of great significance given the links with developments within the Indian economy and the scarcity of research in the field within this context. His previous work has been extensively used by academics, especially his three-level framework of factors influencing HRM in a given context. He has examined HRM systems in emerging markets and established links with social, cultural, political and legal contexts, and this is increasingly being referenced by other researchers.
He has received funding from a variety of funders such as the ESRC, Society for HRM (USA), British Academy, and ERDF to investigate a variety of HR aspects in different set-ups such as in Indian Call Centres, wherein he highlighted many people management related issues and challenges, and the problems emerging in this sector.
Pawan regularly delivers keynotes at international and national events. He has received numerous awards for his research achievements.
Position: Professor of International HRM Phone: +44(0)121 204 3049 Email: email@example.com Room: SW8012
Employment and key positions held
Visiting Professor to:
Key Positions Held:
1. Governing board member, Centre for Responsible Business, New Delhi (2016 – present).
2. Co-Editor-in-Chief of British Journal of Management (January 2014 - present).
3. Member of Scientific Committee for the Association of Business Schools International Guide to Academic Journal Quality (June 2013 – present).
4. Indian Academy of Management Professional Development Workshop Chair, 2013 and 2014 at the Annual AOM Meetings.
5. Secretary, India UK Forum (2013 – 2016).
6. Book Series Editor with Arup Varma, Indian Academy of Management with Palgrave (2015 – present).
7. Chair of Awards Sub-committee, British Academy of Management (2012 – 2014).
8. British Academy of Management, Council Member (2011 – 2014).
9. Associate Editor Human Resource Management (August 2011 - present).
10. HRM Track and SIG Co-chair, British Academy of Management (2010 - 2014).
11. Member of conference secretariat (a three-member team) for biennial International HRM conference (2009 – present).
12. Academy of Management Chair for Caucuses (2008 - 2009).
13. Associate Dean Research, Aston Business School (October 2009 – December 2013).
14. Co-Founder and First President of Indian Academy of Management (2009 - 2012).
15. Senior Associate Editor British Journal of Management (January 2007 - 2010).
16. Advisor to Commonwealth Commission for Awards of Scholarship and Fellowships (2007 – 2013).
17. Senate Member, Aston University (2007 – 2010).
18. Head, Work and Organisational Psychology Group (April 2007 – September 2009).
19. Associate Editor International Journal of Cross Cultural Management (2006 - present).
20. Research Convenor for Work and Organisational Psychology Group, Aston Business School, September 2005 – March 2007.
21. Director of Aston Centre for Human Resources (November 2005 – April 2010).
22. Director of Aston India Centre for Applied Business Research (March 2007 – present).
23. Member of Editorial Board of Human Resource Management, British Journal of Management, International Journal of Management Reviews, International Journal of HRM, European Journal of Work & Organizational Psychology, Thunderbird International Business Review, Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, Personnel Review, Cross Cultural Management, Asian Business & Management and Journal of International Business Studies (present).
24. External Examiner for Ph.D. Thesis: Swedish School of Economics, Helsinki (November 2003); Sheffield University Management School (December 2004); Stirling University (June 2005), Manchester Business School (July 2006 and July 2007), Open University (March 2008), UCT Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town (December 2009), S.J. Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay (March 2010), Norwich Business School (October 2010), Cardiff Business School (November 2010), Griffith University (May 2011), Universiti Putra Malaysia (September 2010), Griffith University (February, 2012), University of Fiji (July 2013), University of Portsmouth (October 2013), IIT Roorkee (November 2013), Edith Cowan University (February 2014), IIT Delhi (March 2014), University of Melbourne (January 2014), Reading University (August 2014), Norwich Business School (October 2014), Cardiff Business School (November 2014), Birkbeck College (November 2014), Multimedia University, Malaysia (February 2015), University of Luton (March 2015), COMSATS, Islamabad (April, 2015), Cardiff University (November 2015), Heriot Watt University (April 2016), Universiti Putra, Malaysia (May 2016), IIT Delhi (July 2016), COMSATS, Islamabad (August 2016; January 2017), Durham University (February 2017), University of Goettingen (May 2017).
25. Internal Examiner for 15+ PhD Theses.
26. Lead the ‘adopt a new member’ initiative at the Academy of Management Annual Conference, August 2010.
27. Member of Academy of Management Task Force (it was a 5-member team) looking at welcoming of international members at AOM (2009).
28. Member of Academy of Management Committee to develop criteria to select on an annual basis the most important contributor to field of International HRM (2005; 2009; 2017).
29. Member of Academy of Management Committee for the HR Division to develop the field of International HRM within the Academy (2005 - 2011).
30. External Examiner for Postgraduate HRM Modules, The University of Plymouth Business School (2003 – 2008).
31. External Examiner for MSc HRM Dissertations, School of Management, UMIST (2003 – 2008).
32. Deputy Director, Asian Accounting Finance and Business Research Unit, Cardiff Business School (2003).
33. Programme Director for MSc HRM, Cardiff Business School (2002 – 2003).
34.Member of Admission Committee, Equal Opportunity Committee and Studentship Awards Committee, Cardiff Business School (2001 – 2003).
35. Course Consultant for University of Arab Emirates (2001 - 2010).
36. Assistant Editor, UK AIB Newsletter (2000-2002).
37. City in-charge of India Cultural Activities – Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh (UK) (1999 – 2014, Cardiff and West Bromwich).
38. Editor of Manchester Business School Research Newsletter (1995-1997).
39. Programme Director for Diploma in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations at Institute of Management Studies and Research, M.D. University, India (1990-1993).
40. Member of different committees such as admissions, exams, disciplinary, selection of university cricket, lawn tennis and football teams, and recruitment of staff members at the Department of Business Administration, M.D. University, India (1989-1993).
41. Staff Advisor to students at the Department of Business Administration, M.D. University, India (1989-1993).