Your electrical goods will need to be Portable Appliance Tested (PAT) for electrical safety and to comply with UK and EU Electrical Safety standards.
The standard electricity supply in the UK is 220 / 240 volts, 50 cycles AC, and the standard outlet is a 13-amp square 3-pin plug. Each room on campus has a minimum of one 13-amp socket.
Instruction leaflets for all appliances are in the kitchen of your flat.
Do not line the grill with foil as this also poses a fire risk. Take care! - Do not touch items in the oven without oven gloves.
Ensure the cooker is switched off before you attempt any cleaning procedures. The cooker should be cleaned regularly.
Take care! - Do not leave the cooker unattended while you are cooking as this poses a fire risk. You may incur charges for any damage resulting from this and fined should it be necessary to evacuate the building.
The microwave oven should be kept clean and it is recommended that you wipe it with a damp cloth after use.
To defrost the freezer it must be emptied and switched off.
Do not leave the iron on if you are leaving the room as this poses a serious hazard and potential fire risk.
If you suspect there is any fault with any appliance, ensure it is turned off and report it immediately to staff at Lawrence Tower reception. Please check that your appliance is in good working order by looking for:
No portable heaters are allowed.
Because of the dangers of overloading, extension leads and multi- plugs are discouraged. Residential Services will provide extension leads where they are deemed necessary.