9 February 2004
Minister expands on EU enlargement
DEPARTMENT of Trade and Industry minister, Jacqui Smith, chose to visit Aston Business School (ABS), January 29, to speak about EU enlargement.
Smith, Labour MP for Redditch, was touring the country to raise awareness of the ten new countries, mainly in Eastern Europe, that are joining the EU.
The enlargement will open up new markets for businesses, including beleagured UK manufacturers. As it also offers wider opportunities for people to study and work abroad, ABS was considered an ideal venue from which to spread the news.
Smith, a former teacher, talked to a mixed group of students and staff, answering questions about the opportunities that would be brought about by the largest ever expansion of the EU.
- ENDS -
For further information please call 0121 204 4549 or email: email@example.com
Notes for editors:
Photos from Jacqui Smith's visit to Aston Business School are available from Lucas North on request.
On several criteria, ABS now has a leading position in the UK:
• along with Aston University as a whole, ABS's access, completion rates and graduate employability are outstanding (ranked 1st by the Financial Times)
• the largest integrated undergraduate programme in the UK (ranked 2nd by The Times)
• postgraduate MSc programmes are market leaders in scale and price
• The Sunday Times rates ABS' work and organisational psychology studies group as the best in the world (23 November 2003)
• RAE based research income is the 5th highest for Business and Management in the England
• in several research areas, ABS is among the strongest in the UK: Marketing, Public Services Management, Operations Management were each flagged by HEFCE