Before joining Aston in November 2008, Dr Phil Extance was Director of Innovation at Advantage West Midlands, the Regional Development Agency. As policy lead on Innovation at AWM he was responsible for managing external relationships with partners, clients and providers, ensuring that their policies and activities align with those of the Agency and the West Midlands Regional Economic agenda (which he helped to develop as chair of the group developing the Business section) in the field of innovation and university-business interactions.
He was the lead executive on the Innovation and Technology Council (ITC) ensuring delivery of the Forward Plan and led the development of Birmingham Science City activity for AWM. He was a very active participant in cross RDA working with BIS, and has been a champion of the Innovation Vouchers Scheme.
Phil's previous experience includes spells as Executive Director at the Shropshire Learning and Skills Council, Chief Executive of Rapra Technology Ltd, and Director of Advanced Engineering at Lucas Industries. He has considerable personal experience of working in the field of technology transfer and R&D which he will bring to the University.
Phil has a First Class Honours in Natural Sciences and a PhD in Amorphous Semiconductors from Selwyn College Cambridge.
- Facilitating links between industrial, commercial and public service organisations and academic staff of the University
- Managing the Business Partnership Unit team to deliver the University’s commercialisation targets through the development of intellectual property, Industrial and European research contracts, and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
- Responsible for the development of Aston’s commercialisation strategy
- Negotiating major contracts with Public and Private sector organisations
- Partnerships and Business Engagement strand of the Aston 2020 Strategy.