The LHS Sustainability Group promotes environmental sustainability within the School of Life and Health Sciences, reporting both to School Board and to the Sustainable Aston Working Group. Our key focus is on enabling and encouraging staff and students to make their behaviour more environmentally sustainable.
A student and staff competition, seeking ideas to improve environmental sustainability in our school:
A waste audit to increase recycling of specialist plastics waste in our laboratories:
A range of small projects to improve sustainability in LHS:
- Switched to 100% recycled paper in all printers and photocopiers
- Replaced light bulbs in Vision Sciences Building with energy-efficient alternatives
- Developing battery recycling facilities for students in Optometry
- Local promotions to encourage energy-saving by switching off
- Promoted sustainable ways of running paperless meetings
- Reusing solvents after distillation process in our labs - saved 10litres during student projects.
You can contact the LHS Sustainability Group through any of its members:
Frank Eperjesi, Paul Furlong, Jo Gough, Trevor Knight, Helen Pattison Dan Rathbone, Steve Russell, Caroline Witton.
We work closely with the Environment and Sustainability team in Estates & Facilities.